HybridZ

255/50/16 on an unflared car???

I think I'm going to go with 245s myself, I HAD been considering 255s. The reason? Nitto just now released a new drag radial in a 245 45R17 size smile.gif I intend to do this with an 8 inch rim and if I goto 255 for some reason that's the same rim I'd use. A 9inch would be a problem to fit in my wheelwells and I already know that 245's fit just fine on an 8inch rim. Actually - that rim might even be 7 or 7.5 - I've never measured (stock Mustang rim from 94-95 in 17inch). I'll research that and try to get back - I can't imagine an extra 10mm needing too much more rim so 8inch ought to be fine IMO.

Oh, and no I've not test fitted either width - I believe 245 to be safe as you've stated. MikeKelly has flares but not up front so I'll be interested in his results and perhaps he can estimate the rear for us?

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited February 23, 2001).]

Check out:

http://24.4.88.29/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000408.html

There's a discussion of wheel/tire sizes there.

I doubt the 255/50-16 will fit easily, as a coilover, fender lip rolling, and a short spring is needed to JUST GET a 255/45-17 under a stock wheel well (see my site for details.) I'd think that with the strut being farther out 1/2" below compared to where the 17x9 and 255/45-17 come close to it, you'd need that much less backspacing, pushing the tire out too far for a stock fender. Maybe a fender trim or slight pulling out would make it work.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited February 23, 2001).]

I don't think you could squeeze them in on the rear... I think you would have to have about 5 inches of backspacing. That would require coilovers and MIKE/SCCAs collar perch idea. Even then, I doubt if the tires would fit inside the wheel well... Not much room without opening up the fender.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody,

Can someone please tell me positively if a P245/45R17 tire can fit within the wheel wells of the Z - front and back. From what I can tell a p245/45 is approx. 9.8" wide. Also, does the hub (tire mounting surface) sit dead center within the well or is it offset either to the fender or towards the center of the car. I have some rims in mind that are 8" wide with a 4.5" backspace (I think this is 0 offset) but trying to determine if they will fit front and back.

Thank You,

Danno74Z

Dan & Owen,

Thank you for the help on the rims.

Dan, I am looking at what you said closely because you are now using the tire size I want to use except my future rim is 17" vs your 15" rim. Did you use the same tire and rim up front? This is very important! Also, on your coilovers (I too will be using them) did you use camber plates or stay with the OEM top rubber perch setup.

Thanks guys for the input as I now have a source for rims and any backspacing I need from 3.5" to 6.58". So, if I can nail down the backspacing I'm on my way on ordering rims. I'm spending a little more for the rims but I know with some good measuring they will fit in the wells.

Danno74Z

I think you're gonna need the coilovers. Mine are 245/55/16 10" wheel width. Don't know what the offset is. http://www.homestead.com/s30z/files/smyz080800-05.jpg

They don't stick out that far but of course I have the coilovers. I will use flares though.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited March 12, 2001).]

I have 245/50/15 Dunlop SP8000s mounted on Centerline 15x8 inch rims with a 5 inch backspacing. I am running the coil-overs. The tires barely fit within the stock rear wheelwells. I have less than 1/8" clearance on the inside between the weld-on spring perch and tire. If the spring perch was relocated above the tire (8 inch 350 lb/in springs) ,and wheels with 5.5 inches of backspacing were used then maybe the 255 might fit.

Good Luck,

Dan

I am using the same rims front and back 15x8 w/5 in backspacing. I have 245/50/15 on back and 225/50/15 on front. I have coil-overs on all four corners. (10 in 200# on back and 12 in 175# on front. The 245/50/15 will fit on the front( I wasn't sure when I ordered tires so I got 225s). I still have OEM rubber isolators above springs. This is not a problem on back but on the front I only have ~2 inches of shhock travel. I plan to get camber plates for the front.

What it boils to is get 1? x 8 rims with a 5 to 5.5 in backspacing.