HybridZ

CNC head flanges in the making...

JustinOlson

I'm just starting on the rough design right now. I have to finish up the cad model of this week and then I will send it off to my machinist to do a run of them with fuel rails. Heres my current audi project that is just rapping up to give you an idea of what the finished product looks like:

headflange.jpg

DSC03655.JPG

DSC03682.JPG

DSC03683.JPG

Regards,

Justin

I'm not sure that I can match $599 for a complete manifold with fuel rail and everything. I'll probably just be selling the head flanges for people to fab up whatever they want. The head flanges will come in at around $200 with fuel rail and mounting brackets.

Regards,

Justin

Justin, that is a nice flange incorporating the Fuel Injectors. Please PM or E-Mail me, I may want to buy a few from you (actually I do want to buy them, it's just a matter of when I can get them!)

Thanks!

On an aside, do ANY of you guys think of making a flange that DOES NOT use the EFI bolt pattern? Both Justin and Brian's flanges BOTH use the EFI bolt pattern----something for the older heads would make it dual purpose. ALL Nissan heads have the Six-Bolt Carburetted flange, but only EFI heads have that Four-Bolt setup. Just asking, guys, how about it?

I'll be making a version that uses the older carb bolt pattern. That was the plan, but I just started with this head flanges as its more work.

I would really like to see a full size version of this picture with all of the dimensions. It would be really handy for me to nail down some of the measurements as I dont have a set of calipers right now(mine were misplaced when moving last).

intakeforl28mainplate-650x477.jpg

Well, the point I was making is that even though the bolts "might" interfere with head mounted injector placement, EVERY head made by Nissan has those six holes!

It's nice to make something that you don't have to stock two parts for. Granted its another machining step, but for someone selling just the flanges it would be a universal part.

That, and I have three heads totally ported back in Japan during the mid/late 80's by the #1 L-Engine Builder there, and two of them are non-efi bolt patterned!

Along with that, I just picked up a former Electromotive head that is E88 casting, and that means no injector notches nor four big bolt holes.

There are a lot of carburetted engines out there that would definately benefit from an EFI upgrade, doing it with their existing $2400 ported head would be a good selling point.

Our Bonneville car uses an E88-Based Head, and a Triple Carb Manifold, you guessed it, no "four big bolts".

And yep, if you want to shoot me a quote for the flange alone, feel free, James---I think you have the flange/injector integrated setup as well, correct?

I'll redesign flanges with the carb bolt pattern today and get it to my machinist this week. I'll have a update later on this week.

For flanges with the carb pattern, I am thinking I will move the injector ports into the runners a little ways away from the intake ports to help with atomizing the fuel.

Which heads don't have the notches for the efi injectors?

Regards,

Justin

• Administrators
I'll redesign flanges with the carb bolt pattern today and get it to my machinist this week. I'll have a update later on this week.

For flanges with the carb pattern' date=' I am thinking I will move the injector ports into the runners a little ways away from the intake ports to help with atomizing the fuel.

Which heads don't have the notches for the efi injectors?

Regards,

Justin[/quote']

Justin,

Do you need a head that doesn’t have the injector notches for measuring or mock up?

That would be cool. U presently have a N42 head here with both bolt patterns. So do the people with carb bolt patterns want injector seats integrated into the flange itself, or welded into the runners?

I could produce just simple flat flanges for people to work with and do whatever they want with.

Justin

• Administrators
That would be cool. U presently have a N42 head here with both bolt patterns. So do the people with carb bolt patterns want injector seats integrated into the flange itself' date=' or welded into the runners?

I could produce just simple flat flanges for people to work with and do whatever they want with.

Justin[/quote']

Justin,

I have a couple of E-88 heads and an E-31 head, (early carbureted heads without the EFI notches and mounting holes). You are welcome to borrow one of them.

You are coming out this weekend to the big camp-in right?

The Carburetted Engines would simply need a slightly different angle to clear the port. I don't know how thick the flange is, but by my measurements a simple angle change should shoot the fuel where it needs to be or simply spacing the injector back fro mthe port a bit would do nicely.

I like the idea of the injector mounted in the flange personally, because it takes the variable out of putting them in a tubular runner and accurately positioning them.

Then again, I may be running a dual injector system with idle/emissions injectors near the head, and the real business out near the plenum.

Making a set of "dummy plug" injector bodies for the standard flange would be easy enough if someone chose to move the injectors elsewhere.

That's my thought on it anyways.