HybridZ

Fuel Rail Fabrication

if you plan to use O-ring injectors the holes have to be perfectly spaced or it's gonna leak, or for about $100 you can buy one made by pallnet complete with mounting brackets and a/n fittings, if you have access to a machineshop to get it all right then go for it, if not pallnet is a bargain

I fabbed my own O ring rail about six months before a couple folks started producing them. It was a major PITA. You will need a good drill press. Not the Craftsman type but a real machinist drill press. You will need to measure your injector spacing with dial calipers and with them secured and centered in their respective ports. Next you will need a special hole reamer to properly surface the course surface after drilling. Once that's done you will need to fabricate the mounts, fuel pressure regulator and fuel line fittings.

Have I convinced you yet????? :mrgreen:

You would need a straight flute reamer like this one from Granger. It will finish the bore much smoother than a drill bit. The final bore size should be about .020 less than your O ring diameter. You should also read the SDS link on building fuel rails.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611661853

http://sdsefi.com/techrail.htm

• 10 months later...

My fuel rail orings are .450 in,so .020 less would be .430, the two reamers that come closest are .4375, and .4219 respectively. Would it be better to be a little tight or a little loose?

The reason its been so long is beause my machinist made me an F'd up one, without using a reamer, and an extra hole that he plugged with an allen plug, and im finally getting around to getting the reamer for him to make a correct rail.

• Administrators
http://www.rossmachineracing.com/injectortool.html

i found this a couple weeks ago, though about buying one but havent yet, prob wont untill i for sure will need it

That is the tool I own/use. Its a great fit for the manifold side but I prefer it were a little tighter fit for the rail side. I havent had a leak yet... but I'm not interested in making the bet that I never will. On the shopping list is a non-standard reamer for rail machining.

• Administrators
... and im finally getting around to getting the reamer for him to make a correct rail.

Why does this sound backward?

I sure wish my customers would bring ME the tools I need :D