HybridZ

VIDEO of my $40 paint job

big-phil

Nice Job! Be carefull with that clear coat, The negative reaction with the rustolium is "bad times" I tried that once. once it reacts it starts a crackeling and the end result is that you have to strip it all off and start all over again. The rustolium should buff out nicely but, because there is no hardener in the paint it will always be "soft". It will scratch and chip and dull very easy, also don't get any thinner or gasoline next to it it will mess it up pretty bad. If you plan on doing it again I would get some automotive paint you can get a single stage black (enough to cover the car) for about $250. You clearly have the skills to lay down a great paint job, so why not lay down great paint.

I wanna make sure you understand that I'm not ripping on you, I think what you did was really cool, but I know how much work is involved in painting a car and for $210 dollars more you could have a pro quality paint job that could last for decades. If you are on a tight budget then I totally understand and any paint is better than no paint.

BTW I did the same thing with my motorcycle and it came out awsome once it was buffed out, but because there was no hardener in the paint it dulls and scratches so easy.

Did it buff out to an awesome shine for you? :burnout:

I have not buffed it yet, and I hear what your saying. The way the car looked before (spottie primmer) I just wanted to put on a cheap paint job so that my extra money can go into my turbo motor. I am VERY careful now when putting gas in! I don't want to drip. Thanks for the reply.

$250 was just a guess... that would be for Quality PPG paint, about 1 gallon which with reducer that makes 2 gallons. and that's california prices. I just spent $600 on my PAINT... that right just for the paint (I'm gonna paint it) Its a 2 stage PPG with a super hight quality UV protection Clear coat. I'm painting it Le Mans Sunset Nissan paint code A17.

I know what you mean about being sick of seeing your car with primer spots all over it. I just painted my entire car with a red primer coat today, it looks pretty cool. Now I just need to guide coat it, block it, take it apart and then I can paint it, piece of cake;). I'll post before and after pictures once I get it all done.

I just spent $600 on my PAINT... that right just for the paint (I'm gonna paint it) Its a 2 stage PPG with a super hight quality UV protection Clear coat.

I feel your pain. I just spent $372 on PPG primers, body filler and sand paper. I'm sure I'll have well over $1,000 just in materials before the car is painted and I'm buying this stuff on my work account so I get a discount.:shock:

I have to say that too the more and more I look and see people do it it really makes you wonder about why wouldnt you do it. I think it looks great Phil.

Just wet sand the orange peel and buff her up she should look really good. I would just love to see someone try it out using acetone. Its the other thinner that Rustoleum recommends.

Ive heard people say it flashes to quickly but I was thinking if your sprying that would be a good thing.

Needless to say good job Phil.

I went to a paint shop and they said for a basic quality paint it would be $400 just for the paint, and primer. I just can't do that when Megasquirt is $200-$400. Holset turbo $150-$350. larger intercooler $100-$250 Fender flairs $150 some kick a$$ wheels tires $1000?? And for one can of Copenhagen is over $5.00!!!!

I think this is all a matter of priorities, and from that last post I see that Phil and I share roughly the same priorities. Go fast = important. Look good = less so. That said, after a wet sand and buff I think that thing is going to look pretty good!

I think this is all a matter of priorities, and from that last post I see that Phil and I share roughly the same priorities. Go fast = important. Look good = less so. That said, after a wet sand and buff I think that thing is going to look pretty good!

I agree... but as it stands now my car isn't allowed at some track day with certain organisations because of the damn 50/50 rule...

Maybe I'll just spray it flat black....

Mario

Guest ZFury
I went to a paint shop and they said for a basic quality paint it would be $400 just for the paint, and primer. I just can't do that when Megasquirt is $200-$400. Holset turbo $150-$350. larger intercooler $100-$250 Fender flairs $150 some kick a$$ wheels tires $1000?? And for one can of Copenhagen is over $5.00!!!!

just FYI, the Maaco chain will do a paint job that looks like this

20gz18z.jpg

for around $250. But I dunno if they primed it. I think for just a layer of paint it costs $170. But nothing is like doing it yourself IMO.