HybridZ

I have a new rattleing noise from rear suspension

I have installed Toyota 4 caliper front discs and 280ZX rear discs along with new urethane bushings in my '77 280Z. I did not change the shocks, mistake but I kind of ran out of money. But now I have a nasty rattling sound in the rear suspension. It sounds like something is totally loose but we can't find anything wrong. The noise only happens when I hit a good size bump or even backing out of the driveway with the wheels turned. Most of it sounds like its coming from the passenger side strut tower. Pushing down on the car while its sitting does not produce it, nor does attempting to rock it sideways. Driving at speed and swerving back and forth quickly does not seem to produce the rattle either. We've had it up on the lift and retighten and torqued everything it sight. Any ideas what to look for? This thing was very quiet before the conversion except for an occasional thump from the rear end when shifting hard.

Did you check the gland nut? ( holds the insert in the strut housing)

Yes.

I wonder if now that I have the new bushings and its all tight again that maybe the struts have become the weak piont in this suspension. I'm only gussing but these struts are likely the originals. They're only $42 a pop at Advanced, maybe I should just replace them. Hate to tear this all apart again!

Before you replace the inserts, go back and check the rear control arms. Make sure the large bolts on the ends that hold the bushings on the ends of the arms are tight.

I doubt the insert went bad just as you upgraded the brakes and bushings. Ive had similar noises which were caused by a loose gland nut, worn aluminum and delrin bushings and loose nuts/bolts on the rear suspension.

Before you replace the inserts' date=' go back and check the rear control arms. Make sure the large bolts on the ends that hold the bushings on the ends of the arms are tight.

I doubt the insert went bad just as you upgraded the brakes and bushings. Ive had similar noises which were caused by a loose gland nut, worn aluminum and delrin bushings and loose nuts/bolts on the rear suspension.[/quote']

Thanks. I'm taking it back up to the garage Monday to get it back up on the lift. I'll recheck all that stuff. It sure sounds to me like something just has to be seriously loose.

Do you have all the proper clips on the brake pads? If not, they could be rattling.

HMMMM, your the second person that brought that up. I really don't know and I have no clue how to tell. But it sounds much more severe than a brake pad rattling,

The nut on the top of the strut shaft caused thumping sound on my Z for years. Make sure the shaft isn't turning with the nut either.

First things first' date=' grab a torque wrench and torque every bolt in the rear end.[/quote']

That's what I'm thinking. We had all this out of the car, twice, long story. I think something with the struts just didn't go back in right. I'll check that shaft turning thing, thanks.

One last thing to add to your list. Check and make sure the gland nuts aren't bottoming out on the strut tubes. I had this problem with one Tokico strut only on one side where the nut bottomed before it tightened against the strut insert. Solution is to put a washer or shim underneath the strut so that when then nut is tightened there are still one or two threads showing.

One last thing to add to your list. Check and make sure the gland nuts aren't bottoming out on the strut tubes. I had this problem with one Tokico strut only on one side where the nut bottomed before it tightened against the strut insert. Solution is to put a washer or shim underneath the strut so that when then nut is tightened there are still one or two threads showing.

thanks