HybridZ

my lexan rear hatch and qtr. windows

JaysZ

Jon, would you happen to have any pictures of any strap setups? the actual sheet is countersunk since i'm not using weatherstripping so i'd like to see how others have done it. i may just make a frame that holds it in with a pair of thin straps to hold the center in.

Here is a pic of a friend's 510. He uses the stock gasket and has 1" wide by probably .060" thick aluminum straps. The straps are contoured to go over the gasket and pop riveted above and below.

f75f.jpg

The Porsche that blew the rear window out used a bunch of small pieces of aluminum angle to fit the Lexan flush to the outside of the car (really cheesy). When the window blew out we replaced it with 3/16" thick Lexan, and we also used button head pop rivets and put a thin rubber washer between the angle iron and the Lexan. It worked for a couple more races then I left so I can't say if it was successful in the long term and which if any of those changes made a difference.

Supposed to save 40% of the weight of the glass IIRC, which isn't going to be anywhere near 40 lbs. I think a stock hatch weighs 50 lbs with the glass. I'd guess this saves 10 lbs, maybe more like 20 if you remove the quarter window frames entirely and just use the lexan instead.

when you compare the quarter windows with the metal surround/weatherstrip, its pretty heavy in comparison to just the lexan. the same goes for the rear hatch glass. honestly, i wouldn't say the weight savings is HUGE but every ounce helps if you add it all up. for the ease and price of it... you might as well right? then again, i'm building a purpose built track day car, not a street car. my car will avoid rain and prolonged sun exposure if at all possible.

Jon, your friend's 510 is pretty frickin sweet. would you say it might help to cut relief holes in the hatch. what i'm thinking is similar to vented lenses for Oakley M frame sunglasses:

4394c855f366b.png_242_0_0.jpg

i think this would relieve some of the pressure (but would it add drag?) and prevent a blowout.

Illegal in most racing classes. I think they did end up doing that on the Porsche in the end, but they put the holes way up top. Something about the placement of the gigantic CF wing on that car. If you put them down low on a Z I think you'd get MASSIVE fumes in the cabin. Might get away with them way up top though if it's legal (or if you don't care).

Yeah, the 510 is nice. When I was originally building up my Z about 8 years ago, his 510 and my Z were both our daily drivers. We were roommates, he was a Nissan Master Tech at the time. We were always within 1 second or so of each other, sometimes I was faster sometimes he was. Then all of a sudden I buy a house, and he flares his car, widens the track about 3 inches in front, buys the lightweight Panasports, switches to Wilwoods, and goes to cantilevered slicks and installs the Lexan and a full cage. He was then about 2-3 seconds ahead at autoxes, but I still beat him by 5 seconds on the big track. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I get done with my project, although I might never race against him again if I don't move back to someplace in CA. He's DOMINATING the local Porsche Owners Club autox in his area though.

so, i was thinking about replacing my stock windows with lexan. using the same exact frames and just removing the glass and replacing them with lexan (pass, driver, both small angle windows and also the rear hatch glass) would i have to reinforce/poprivet them in?

I don't think you want to do the driver and passenger window. They're a curved piece of glass so you'd have to bend the Lexan to match. Someone here claimed that it could be done fairly easily maybe 2 or 3 years ago, but I've never seen it. Also, the stuff scratches really easy, so just rolling it up and down and having the Lexan drag on the rubber seal on the outside of the window is going to scratch the hell out of the Lexan.

I think you could use the stock rubber gasket in back like my 510 friend did, but you'd still need the straps. On the corner windows I think it's a waste of time. Most of the weight there is from the frames I think, and if you reuse the frame and only get a 40% weight savings on that tiny piece of glass that's not worth the hassle IMO.