HybridZ

76 280z 2+2

Guest JWjdm

Guest JWjdm

Hey everyone..New here to HybridZ...Name's Jesse

Well i was just given this 280z 2+2 by my brothers neighbor last week for Free:mrgreen:

the car start with no hessatation,the entrior need's work..and as for the engine,well that motor will be coming out!

he said he had no time for the car so all he asked was that i register it on my name..

Well this is the first car i've ever had that wasn't a Honda,im really big into the JDM scence so i have a Crx under going RHD,and a EM1..

so i diffentley want to restore this car as much like a 240ZG as i can..

I hope you guy's can help me a little...

I've tried finding as much info on the 2+2 as i could but found pretty much nothing..everything is pretty much S30 Z coupe's..and all parts for it..but i wanted to know if all the parts for the 2 seater are some what like the 2+2..of course by that i mean the frontend parts like fenders,ZG Flares,doors,hoods..

obvouisly the rear wont be the same..but like i said i really like the ZG parts and all the nice air dams that i see on all your guy's 2 seater Z's...

I'd greatly appriciate all the help you can give me:)

Just though i share my story and car with you guy's

Thank you!!

IMG_0841.jpg ..While at his house

IMG_0842.jpg ..Washed it as soon as i got it

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg ..I know it's no Coupe but i still love it

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

Wow, you can't beat it for free. Looks like you already know what will and won't fit. I think you'll have a good time lowering the car and making a ZG styled 2+2, there aren't many out there! Good luck.

Davy

Just asking from experience, does it have the front inner fender wells? When I got mine, it didn't and was driven cross country them garaged, dirt built up on the upper front frame support under the fender (dirt aborbs water= rust). had alot of rust problems because of it.

I really like the 2 seater Z's alot' date='I guess i just wanted to do something different..

BTW will a BRE wing fit on a 2+2??[/quote']

Don't think so, or at least not in the same way. The angle of the hatch is steeper on the 2+2 so where the BRE hangs over the hatch would be at the wrong angle. This may or may not actually make a difference, but I don't think it would be "right".

First the car looks really clean does it just look good or do you know if it has cancer. I have a 78 2+2 that has cancer and parts are very hard to find for the rear fenders and rocker panels we had to use coupes and cut them and weld them to make it work. I love 2+2's and wish theyd make more parts:cry: . Just as a reminder any 2+2 part you find jump on it before its to late.

1978 280z 2+2

Guest JWjdm
First the car looks really clean does it just look good or do you know if it has cancer. I have a 78 2+2 that has cancer and parts are very hard to find for the rear fenders and rocker panels we had to use coupes and cut them and weld them to make it work. I love 2+2's and wish theyd make more parts:cry: . Just as a reminder any 2+2 part you find jump on it before its to late.

1978 280z 2+2

Thanks for the comment,but im going to be honest here,Yes the car has a major rust on the passanger floor board..kinda starting to decay...

this is the first car if had thats this old so ive never delt with rust problems..

Can rust spot ever be repaired?? or why is a rust spot really bad??

besides the obvious..or is it just that people pefer no rust for bragging rights?? Does it continue to spread?? i know these these are dumb questions but i'd just like to know whats the real down side to the rust besides the fact that it looks hideous..

Is there anything i can do about the cancer and decaying,Origanially i was going to try and find a 240z 2 seater and just swap the good parts over from this car..but then i started loving the 2+2 more and more...

Do you think the problem would get worser or could i just cut it out and add some new material over the floor board??

BTW:is that your car on your avatar?? i saw it going on sale on ebay!

My avatar isnt my car, I saw it on ebay and thats what Id like to go for paint wise, and just thought it was a nice car. Anyways me and my dad are restoring a 78 2+2 and it had bad rust in the drivers floor, and the other spots I told you about. We had to go find a rust free floor from a 2+2 and I had a friend of ours cut it out then weld it in. Im only 15 so Im having to be careful on my budget so I wont be doing a perfect restoration. Were trying to just preserve the car, so I can find every bit of rust and correct when Im older. But if you will be doing a total restoration youll have to make each layer of the unibody in the back then weld them in to be totally rust free. On the doors, theyre I think 4 inches longer and we had to find new rust free 2+2 doors at a junk yard (lucky). If rust spots are only on the surface you can grind it to good metal then rust kill it. But if it has gone all the way through the panel its best to get rid of all the rust and patch it because it will spread. I think the 2+2 are alot nicer so all the work will be worth it. Hope I helped.

Everything from the firewall/cowl forward is interchangable with the coupes. ZG flares and G-Nose are not a problem. Mine is getting a G-Nose and ZG flares. From the door hinges back is a different story.

The coupe does have a narrower rear end. The BRE spoiler is not wide enough. I have a 3 piece spoiler from a coupe and the shape of the side pieces does not come close to fiting the 2+2 back end. The ZG rear flares do not seem to sit quite right. I may end up just molding the flares in for a smooth look.

Nice to know there are others that like the 2+2's. Repair of the rust can be done. Take a look at what mull is doing. This will definetly give you an idea of how far someone will go to fix a rust problem.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106731

Guest JWjdm
Everything from the firewall/cowl forward is interchangable with the coupes. ZG flares and G-Nose are not a problem. Mine is getting a G-Nose and ZG flares. From the door hinges back is a different story.

The coupe does have a narrower rear end. The BRE spoiler is not wide enough. I have a 3 piece spoiler from a coupe and the shape of the side pieces does not come close to fiting the 2+2 back end. The ZG rear flares do not seem to sit quite right. I may end up just molding the flares in for a smooth look.

Nice to know there are others that like the 2+2's. Repair of the rust can be done. Take a look at what mull is doing. This will definetly give you an idea of how far someone will go to fix a rust problem.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106731

I'd like to see pics of your 2+2 man..

How is the rear flare coming along,any tips or advice you can give me on the proper installion on the rear flares would help man:) ...

Also is the Rear bumper(Black bumper) the same as Coupe one???

The heat has slowed me down some. I cannot give you a time frame on the rear flare install. Will provide you an update when I can.

As for the rear bumper, I have never measured the coupe vs. 2+2. The Fairlady Z has rear bumpers like the 240Z. So mine is not like the stateside 280Z's huge protruding setups.