HybridZ

Tail lights and dash lights dead.

HICKL

Headlights work, blinkers and brake lights work. Gauges are working but don't light up and tailights and marker lights don't work. Anybody got any ideas? I've checked fuses but that's all so far.

Thanks

Jeff

On the electrical inside the steering column plastic along the bottom side there is a rectangular connecter that I believe has like 16 wires going to it. (headlight electricity and so forth goes through there). On my Z it is the secound in on the right closer to the steering column of the two rows. It was a green wire. That is the power that does the side markers and the dash lights. Mine must have gotten to warm one day and discollored the shielding and no longer allowed current to flow through. I replaced the wire from the small soldered area to the connector and it worked fine from there on out.

Before fixing it you should test it with a meter to make sure no power is going through and you will need a soldering iron.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this problem on all 3 of my cars. On the 77, it was just the fusible link.

On the 76 it was the light switch - this only takes a second to test with a volt meter once the cover is off. Since new oem switches are almost 100$, I just wired a seperate 1$ switch to the contacts.

On my 78, it was just corrosion or a slightly loose connection on the harness underneath the steering column - the power wire from the fusible links. Once I disconnected and reconnected it, everything worked fine.