HybridZ

bad idea?

b__sosick

its just about time to upgrade the exhaust on my 82 zxt.

I'm thinking about doing the following.

cutting out the cat and replacing it with regular straight pipe.

"y piping" the exhaust before the muffler section for dual exhaust.

also, i will probably get two small hollowed out mufflers. (im tired of my car being so quiet!!)

I know it won't do much for power but it should look cool. HAHA.

I was just wondering if I was overlooking any reason this is a bad idea, other than its a little extra weight.

my rear bumper is cut like it WANTS dual exhaust. and I can't say no to my car...or should I?

Don't forget you'll also be removing a bit of weight from the mufflers (since they'll just be open)

And if it does add any weight it'll be in back so it might help the distrobution .05% :D

Around here loud cars get pulled over alot, so i like to keep my cars as close to stock sounding as possible.

how about running a muffler/resonator/glasspack where the cat was and running pipe to to each side for the dual exhaust look?

or get a muffler... 1-in 2-out, and continue doing the exhaust that way.

one real muffler is lighter than 2 hollowed out ones

that's not a bad idea. and would save me a lot of money from buying two new mufflers....

it looks like i'm going to have to y pipe it right where the muffler section is. the s130 is NOT made to have dual exhaust. i'll take some pics soon of what I end up doing. thanks for all the replies guys.

today I am just going to cut the cat out, and straight pipe it.

Finally an excuse to make my friend let me use his welder >:]

Do what several others have done and go w/a 3" from downpipe back to a 3" in Magnaflow with dual outs.

I myself have a 3" cat (I have inspections) and a 3" straight thru DynoMax Ultraflow oval canister muffler that is not quiet at idle but doesn't get real loud either. Sounds like a V8 at idle....

well for now i just have the cat gone and straight piped. it was the first thing i ever got to weld so I was pretty stoked about it! I'd post pics of the welds but it would probably embarrass me! haha. i was reluctant to put the new muffler on it today but it's only a temporary solution.

also. my car is making a weird popping noise (from the intake?) at low RPMS and at about 1/4 throttle. but once the rpms get up a bit it stops. what's going on here? i always pump 93. my car is also not intercooled yet so maybe its coming from the filter?

• 2 months later...