HybridZ

Run the L28e(t) withough boost?

As some of you may know, I've pretty much givin up on my N/a-t project, although somewhat successful, I'm having little issues(nothing major) but all of those issues on top of the fact that I have 161K on the motor, it seems like overkill to put anymore money into it. So I plan on going with a V8. Most of the problems I'm facing are just the fact that the car is a turbo car, which in fact, before the turbo, it ran fine. I do not wanna mess with the motor, or buy new gaskets or anything. So my plan is to disconnect the J pipe and run the afm off the throttle body like stock, but keep the turbo bolted up as is. I only need to drive about 20-30 miles if that, to get to the place where I will do the swap. Do you guys think this will be fine, or will something really bad happen.

• 10 months later...

Would this hurt the turbo at all, by over spinning it, and not having enough backpressure through the intake to slow it down? I only ask becasue I'm about to get the car started, but without my intercooler piping, and without a turbo dizzy(can't find one) I can't really run it boosted with megasquirt. I plan to get it started with the stock electronics to atleast drive it back home from school. Then when I can source a turbo dizzy, then I will do the megasquirt install.

Its funny because at the beginning of this post, I was gonna ditch the motor to drive it to school. Now I'm keeping the motor and taking it home from school. I just finished rebuilding it, and need to run some piping and such, and my injectors aren't compatible without megasquirt, and I can't run megasquirt without a CAS. So the initial plan is to get it running N/a, drive it home, then get the dizzy, MSD box, and build the piping, as well as use the new injectors with megasquirt. The car just needs to be out of the school ASAP, because the semester ended almost 2 months ago, and it should have been gone then.

Somewhere, out in the shed, is a Turbo with all the guts taken out of it. A nice Plug in the center where the turbine-compressor shaft foremerly resided.

Bought an 83 ZXT and was running it around the backyard trying to get boost out of it, just couldn't.

Finally when I cut up the car (ZX's make such great driveline donors...) and got to removing the turbo rubber boot to the AFM, I realized the drain line was plugged, the oil feed line had been vicegripped closed, and that the turbo was indeed, EMPTY!

I kept it around just because.

But the car ran flawlessly through a gutted turbo housing. I'd go with the 'wire the wastegate open' and just run the thing without too much more fiddling.

And YES, you can run a Megasquirt without a CAS. If you run MS only, simply stick a N/A distributor in there, and run it like that. If not, lock the advance mechanisims of the dizzy, and use IT as your CAS---it only need a signal. Where it gets it from is VERY flexible.