HybridZ

cummins diesel turbo in a Z?

240zwannabe

ok i did some searching and i didnt find any posts about a cummins turbo diesel in a z and i was wondering if anybody has attempted or even thought of this swap. it would be hella torque and tons aof power easily obtainable through small upgrades. any thoughts? thanks

I had thought about doing this with the Duramax diesel in my truck, whenever it gave out and needed an overhaul. The main problems that I've run into is, SIZE, most of these things are large in size and in large trucks. Another thing is the weight, your dealing with a thick cast iron block, heads, etc. etc. While they can make tons of TQ and HP, like you said with simple mods. I think it would be great for a dragster, but not much good for many other applications. Just my $.02

Tyson

I had thought about doing this with the Duramax diesel in my truck' date=' whenever it gave out and needed an overhaul. The main problems that I've run into is, SIZE, most of these things are large in size and in large trucks. Another thing is the weight, your dealing with a thick cast iron block, heads, etc. etc. While they can make tons of TQ and HP, like you said with simple mods. I think it would be great for a dragster, but not much good for many other applications. Just my $.02

Tyson[/quote']

yeah i saw the post about the duramax, in louisville theres a guy running a 7.8 in a duramax truck in the 1/8th mile. i hadnt thought about weight, i was more set on power! anybody else?

Guest 280ZForce

do a search for holset, hy35, hy35w or even hx40 on here and you'll find we do use the cummins diesel turbo, we just call it by it's rightful turbo name instead of vehicle relation name.

I myself have a holset hy35 and i knew a few others have it on here as well.

check out my cardomain link in my sig for pics of my setup and what not.

do a search for holset' date=' hy35, hy35w or even hx40 on here and you'll find we do use the cummins diesel turbo, we just call it by it's rightful turbo name instead of vehicle relation name.

I myself have a holset hy35 and i knew a few others have it on here as well.

check out my cardomain link in my sig for pics of my setup and what not.[/quote']

I think he was talking about using the whole engine...

As per the diesel idea - I gave it some consideration awhile back and would have to agree that they are rather large and cumbersome. The one that seemed the best choice was a diesel I4 that produced like 300ish torque and a little over 100 hp stock, almost seemed like a plausible swap. Was used in service trucks, don't remember much else about it though. One note - with a 3500-4000 rpm redline you're going to be shifting a lot.

The cummins turbo diesel weighs 1000+lb by itself, I read somewhere that the engineers had to design the ram for an additional 1100lb with increased cooling and extra battery, so I doubt the car would be able to handle the weight increase at any type of speed since the stresses on the body would be too great. Kind of like having a fully loaded car to start with and then you get in it. My manual trannies are cast iron housings and heavy as well. Bet they weigh 300lb as well and they are rather large. The automatic is overly large as well. So that would put a full dressed z in at 3400 to 3500 lb curb weight and with a 200 lb driver would be maybe even 3700lb. Oink! Oink!

Yeah, but you could pull into the race track hauling a 48ft bumper pull enclosed trailer with a Z...lol.

That said, the car would likely be very unsafe to drive. Very nose heavy, poor brakes due to the increased weight and you'd need a lot of stuctural mods to keep the car together over time.

280zforce, i was talking about the whole engine not just the holset, i have put much thought into using the hy35 with the l28 but after seeing a duramax truck run 7.8 i got to thinking.

dr_hunt, i have 1/8th inch thick steel subframe connectors and an 8 point roll cage. structurally i think i'd be alright but as far as brakes and handling go i think i would be pretty screwed. thanks for the input guys i think i've decided to stick with the L28et swap.

Although, the Cummins from the factory is much stronger, I would look into the Duramax. It's an aluminum block and heads making it far lighter than the Cummins and not as tall. You could probably run it up a little above 4000RPM too. Not to mention the new OEM setup from GM comes in with 360HP and 650 lb. ft. of torque.

Cummins also makes a 4 and 5 cylinder which I believe is based of the inline 6 in the Dodge's.

Although' date=' the Cummins from the factory is much stronger, I would look into the Duramax. It's an aluminum block and heads making it far lighter than the Cummins and not as tall. You could probably run it up a little above 4000RPM too. Not to mention the new OEM setup from GM comes in with 360HP and 650 lb. ft. of torque.

Cummins also makes a 4 and 5 cylinder which I believe is based of the inline 6 in the Dodge's.[/quote']

i hang out with alot of "rednecks" and they talk alot of crap about duramax's so i never paid any attention to them. i'll look more into cummins engines, i had no idea they made a 5 cylinder. thanks

i hang out with alot of "rednecks" and they talk alot of crap about duramax's so i never paid any attention to them. i'll look more into cummins engines, i had no idea they made a 5 cylinder. thanks

Stock for stock, the Duramax's are far weaker. The rods are tiny in comparison. That can be easily remedied, because I believe the Duramax motors have a fairly strong aftermarket for engine internals. Look at the Banks road race truck. Its a modified Duramax making quite a bit of power. Enough to bust a bunch of parts. Unfortunately, his off the shelf stuff isn't nearly as cool though.

I believe the 5 cylinder Cummins comes in the new wierd looking Daimler/Chrysler box truck.

650 LB FT torque would probably still twist the 8 point cage and subframe connectors you have. It is probably cheaper and better performance to go with an RB26dett.

true, but being 17 years old i was just trying to get creative and do something nobody's done before. plus, i like to fabricate, i figured the diesel turbo would provide plenty of fab work.

While I was in Central America a few years ago I saw alot of Chevys, Toyota, Nissan and Izusu pickup truck running 2.5 thru 3.0 turbo diesel, most were 6 cylinders. Not sure what the HP rating was on the engines but they did say that they got upwards of 45mpg on the road!! So if you can get south of the border see what you can find!

HB280ZT

Yea I was referring to some time spent in El Salvador, CA (Central America, not the Rupublic of California).

I was looking at purchasing a new Chevy S-10 4 door, 4WD with a 2.8 liter turbo diesel and a 5 speed. The truck was fully loaded by there standards and it only cost $19,000.00. The truck got 35 mpg city and over 45 mpg on the highway. But for some reason the EPA will not allow us to import these vehicals into the country, something about not meeting EPA guide lines. Well I did a little research and at the time there were no guide lines for small diesel truck emissions so they were blowing smoke.

So the million dollar question is why are they against people importing vehicals or engines that get good fuel mileage, or is the EPA owned and operated by the oil companies, something to think about!!!!

Enough of my soap box.

HB280ZT