HybridZ

too much rust?

Boosted1503

Hello all I'm currently looking for a Z and I found this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Datsun-240Z_W0QQitemZ160015389030QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. so far it's going for $50 plus i'd have to get it shipped over here. anywho my question is based on those pics do you guys think it'll be worth it to buy and rebuild? or should I just keep looking? It looks like it has quite a bit of rust. I'm willing to put the elbow grease in it but is it gonna have tooo much elbow grease? thanks

Mike

You are in California...keep looking. You will find something nice over there.

Here in Canada' date=' That Z would be a jewel !!!

Dayz[/quote']

lol. Yea believe me I'm looking for one around here but they're either really over priced and beat up or just really over priced. None the less I will keep looking.

25_12.JPG

1st. sitting on grass.That makes Zs rust very fast. Notice that riveted on piece...

a1_12.JPG

that is bad enough...the gas tank has a 95% chance that it has a hole rusted through it.

86_12.JPG

look at that...you can see the inside of the wheelwell!

e1_12.JPG

you don't want that beast... it is worse off than Mull's Z was!

may I suggest: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-DATSUN-280Z-79K-miles-NICE-PROJECT-CAR-No-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ130014268013QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6187QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Datsun-280Z_W0QQitemZ130013482503QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6187QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or even this basket case... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/datsun-280z-nissan-280zx-240-260-280-300_W0QQitemZ330012646855QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6187QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

how much can you spend? I bought my 260 that had not run for 5 years for $2k..probably should have been $1400 but whatever. At least my framerails are strong. It has some rust but not all that bad. Car was wrecked in late 70's in the front left and right and rear right. Car was wrecked again in the late 80s or early 90s on the front left corner. My car must have had 3/4 of a gallon of bondo on it. Now 2.5 years later and several $$$$ later it is doing good but still need to do bodywork. What are you planning on bilding? SBC/SBF Z? L6 Z?

he was going 50 in first gear? you would have to have a 3.36 differential and a ZX tranny plus revving the motor to over 8k RPMs to be going 50 in first gear...That car is junk. I think $50 is a good price to remove the carbs and trash the rest.

I can do 43 mph in first at 6.5k rpm.

I think 50 could be done with the proper tranny, rear, and tires.

I see people in Cali GIVING AWAY cars in much better shape then this.

Mario

I can do 43 mph in first at 6.5k rpm.

I think 50 could be done with the proper tranny' date=' rear, and tires.

I see people in Cali GIVING AWAY cars in much better shape then this.

Mario[/quote']

If you find one please let me know. I really want to get a 240z pre 1976.

Wow that car is literally 10minutes from my house...I don't care..it could be 10hours...

His eBay ad is ignorant and talking about he beat the car-up...would I want to buy or deal with someone like that...nope. He is a dreamer.

Run Forest Run!

Yasin

it brought $400, interesting

You guys have to go back and read the extra paragraph that he added at the bottom, pretty funny stuff, what a whiner

Guys, I made sure I took high quality pics of all the general areas plus any damaged area. I'm trying to learn from my past experience and list in the best, most informed and honest manner. There are around a dozen of u watching, but that's really not going to change anything. Do u want me to pay you?! I think I am being more than reasonable with my reserve and especially my starting bid. I guess I was wrong to make the starting bid lower. All that did is make u think u could get it for free, I guess. Or that it would magically appear in your garage, without having to bid on it. Have any of u ever bought on ebay before? Is this a bad time of year? Did I start it the wrong day? This is a good car with many new parts! What more can I say?, it comes with a naked lady? Would that see some bids? I tell u what, if u restore it right I'm sure u could attract a lot of heads. Giv it a shot, it's a great car. Surface-Rust is really a piece of cake ask a bodyman)! See yourself fixing and driving this car. This can be yours! Own it! Good Luck and seize the day! If it's a Z u want then GET IT! No one can stop u accept U! U can do anything!

he misspelled the word "you" about as much as he wants for that heap...I bet if you rev it to 5k and drop the clutch it will snap the front end off and the passenger rear strut will come through the strut tower and slam the roof. Then it would be "slammed" and worth more!!!

J/K