HybridZ

New here any one has put a rotary on a 76 280Z

Guest youngmondragon

Guest youngmondragon

Has any one put in a rotary motor on a 280Z if you have let me know and give me some adviced or any problems you ran in to it.

Thanks

One word: Search

If there's a swap done, or to be done, this site will have info on it. Just don't expect for it to be spoon fed.

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=516552

Auxilary is the man in the know on rotary motors in a Z. Personally I'd say if you're happy with 250 or so HP go with a renesis and keep it NA, it will save you alot of headache of turbo fitment. It would also reduce the already low weight.

EDIT: Also, if you wanted good NA hp from a rotay the cosmo 3 rotor motor. If 2 rotors are good, then 3 must be even better.

Some are, but some are NA. But they're all JDM, so if smog is an issue you won't be using a cosmo anytime soon at any rate.

I think it was the older cosmos that were NA. I'll do some research because I know there were turbo ones, but I don't know the specifics.

Hmm, i'm not finding any info on NA 20B motors, so you're probly right veritech. The funny thing is that I've seen a NA 20B in person and it seemed to have an OEM intake manifold so I kinda wonder about that car now...

Well, so they might not have had an NA 3 rotor in produciton, but there was the 757 3 rotor and the 787 4 rotor race cars that were NA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_757

No reason you couldn't run a factory turbo Intake manifold with no turbo, what did the exhaust manifolds look like? I new a guy that had two of those engines in his garage, kept telling me he was going to have me over to check it out, but I could never get it scheduled.

Yea, I can't remember what the exhaust looked like. Oh well.

But what I still don't get is why nobody's making shafts for 4 rotor conversions. There's obviously people who have done it, I'd imagine there would be quite a market for it if someone would make enough of them.

I'm sure there would be a market, that would be pretty serious! You'd need a new intake manifold, plus probably those longer bolts that hold the whole engine together, and I suppose some provision for either a dry sump conversion or an extended oil pan at least to get something like that to work.

It's ok flames, I thought so too for years apparently!

Yea, 4 rotor would need custom intake, exhaust, misc bolts, oil system.

But my point is that people have done it. I bet there's more 4 rotors then rotary motors in Z cars (judging by the only one I know if is auxilary's and his isn't on the road).

There must be a way to come up with an eccentric shaft that will work. I bet you could probably just build your own 4 rotor out of 13b housings and rotors. I've always thought a 20b would be super good as a z powerplant. Big enough to fill up the engine bay, but still with the WTF!? factor of a smaller rotary...

Don't feel bad flames, I thought for the longest time the 3rd gen RX-7 was available NA and even got into an argument with a guy about it, turns out I was wrong. Don't argue with an RX-7 owner about rotary trivia, in case the temptation ever strikes you...bitter voice of experience....Although I did once win an argument with a kid that claimed toyota used to sell a rotary carolla based on the fact that he once bought one from a puerto rican guy that had one in it. I was like, couldn't you read the part on the engine where it said mazda?

I saw a corvette magazine with an article that featured that vette. It had a 4-rotor mid mounted rotary engine, but now it has a big block because the rotary died at some point, and it was built out of unobtanium like most cool old cars seem to be...I've heard the wankel was destined for the beetle, but they couldn't get the power they needed out of it and sold the patent off. I wasn't aware of that holden, but doesn't surprise me since I know GM was fooling with them for awhile. I think citroen or some other french company had a rotary car as well, but I can't remember the model.