HybridZ

New here any one has put a rotary on a 76 280Z

Guest youngmondragon

Having put a Cosmo 20B in an RX7 I can give you guys the following info:

1. 20B that mere mortals like us can buy are all twin turbos and are hooked up to a 4 speed auto.

2. Sourcing a flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, etc. isn't hard.

3. A stock RX7 5 speed will bolt up to the 20B.

4. The 20B dressed weighs about 420 lbs not including flywheel.

5. Its long and has a double sump oil pan.

6. Its wide with the turbos installed.

7. Its also pretty tall with the factory intake.

8. I think stock they made 300hp.

Dont know about the commodore with rotary think that ones a not true

do know holden built hq with rotary which some where exported to japan as part of trial

Read article once about a 20b running n/a they reckoned it sounded like a formula one engine so sweet

While i luv my rx4 and the fact i can beat porsches and gt falcons as well as the odd 300zx turbo The rotary really is the best fun so many people hate them the sound they make and they get so pissed when u beat them

v8 with it

But its a bit like putting a 4cyl in a zed engine bay just wouldnt look right but each to there own after having my v8 in the zed i luv cruising and having power to stomp when u need it and the v8 noise is not so repetivie as the rotary or as sweet as a nice 6cy then again my 13b j port is running 113 db at idle and jerks like a pig between 2500 and 3500 revs if your trying to cruise on speed limit but suppose thats some of its charecter but mane it goes when u stomp it

Was told when i did my apprenticship nearly every car maker where looking at the rotary till the big fuel scare in mid 70s that killed them just think where they be today with decent research dollars spent on them there just so easy to work on so simple

Chevy once made a prototype rotary vette :D

But I don't have pics to prove it' date=' just big history databases online of the rotary engines.[/quote']

73882t.jpg

They actually made a two and four rotor prototype. I've read a couple of articles about these prototype Vettes. Found this webpage with pics for you: Vette Prototypes

im not saying someone hasnt put a rotary in a commdore but im sure it wasnt factory built like the hq rotary

The HQ rotary wasn't actually factory built from what I understand, it was shipped to Japan in pieces where Mazda then fitted it with the rotary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Kingswood#Mazda_Roadpacer

http://www.mazda.com/history/rotary/g2-6.html