HybridZ

460.CI + 78 280z = can i do it?

MaTTSuN

i have a old ford truck with a 460 in it and i have a 78 shell was wondering if that big bad boy engine will fit in between those shock towers if so that would be a cool cruisin car...the weight diss miht be a little messed up but a fun ride none the less

matt

"You can do it!"

Seriously, youv'e got the motor and the chassis at your disposal. I'd start taking measurements (engine width with and without the exhaust manifolds, front to back, and crank centerline to top of carb) and go from there. You'll need to go over this in your mind repeatedly in order to ensure you've covered all bases before starting. There's nothing worse than a great idea and concept that later becomes impossible because of the lack of proper planning.

for sure something like this needs a good plan. Im even thinking of cutting the firewall to set the weight of that monster motor back a bit. the Z i have is just a shell and it is ready for a full custom job. Just waiting if i can use this truck that has been sitting in my dads yard for months. "it was his friends that passed away" how much would i need to set back the engine to make the weight 50/50 or close to stock? i wonder what kinda of monster turbo would work good with this motor also hehe it will be one bad hot rod for sure id love to to the wide body like you blueoval by the way your car rocks! love what you did

matt

• 1 month later...

over here in au the law is if a clevland will fit in there a big block will and probably should be put in

well its not a law but it probably should be

mate of mines got a 429? in his xb hardtop and that thing spins the tyres in 1-4 with no apparent change in effort

go for it i say

oh and is there a 5speedi can mate to this engine? im not a big fan of auto

How much money you got? I dont know of any OEM 5 speed that would handle the tourqe that a 460 can produce. Most of the ford 5 speeds crumble at the tourqe of a 302 without some major help, like gforce innards.

• 3 months later...
Guest turborscapri1984

Some of the Ford trucks that came with the 460's had 4-speed MT's, and the later ones came with 5-speed MT's with an overdrive. I think they are Borg Warner like the T5 and T56 ect, but much more torque/low gear oriented.

-Mike-

Guest turborscapri1984

Not that I can think of. But that doesnt mean you cant find one in something. As far as I know a TKO is a no go for the big block. Best bet would be to contact someone like Advanced Adapters, or Lakewood. There are many many bellhousing options out there, as Im sure you all know...

-Mike-

I am a nay sayer on this one. The engine is HEAVY and the power of a truck 460 Ford is similar to a chevy in line 6. The exhaust port on these engine is so bad it does more than a 90 degree bend, it is small, and Ford in there brillance, decide that in the top of the bend a smog pump injector would be installed. You need aftermarket heads to make this combo rock. Great burn outs but all that for 200 HP does not seem to worth trouble.

PS T5 would not hold up at all.

• 1 month later...
Guest oldgoat

Reply to Cyrus

Well actually you are right in some areas and bad wrong in others. If you are talking a ford 460 truck like comes in a F-250 around the years of 1979- 1985 they have no smog pump or at least mine haven't. And if a person is going to use the car for drag racing a n automatic is the best bet. I have a 280 z and entend to install a 460 into it with a c-6 automatic. Of course it is just going to be used for going to the store for eggs and soda pop as I am 62 years old or will be the 21st of this month. But all and all seems like a good winter project for me up here in Idaho.