HybridZ

DAYUM and then some...

Warren

Un-believable...I still have the key for my 77 that was cut from one of those blanks...I stumbled across that auction under a general "datsun" search (yes, I scroll through ALL 5 million pages just for something to do at work) and thought it might be nice to cut a new one. I didn't notice the bids at the time!

What's the big deal about those blanks? I have two in nearly new condition and they came with the brand new ignition lock that I bought from Nissan a while back. It sure didn't cost that much. Here's a shot of my spare key for my '75 and the only key that I have for my '77 parts car:

datsunkeys.jpg

Well, consider that those keyblanks haven't been available for sale (note, key BLANKS, as in UN-CUT) in about 10 years, as the existing stock was exhausted way back then. I too have those type of keys NEW for my car, as well as the new ignition, doors, hatch and glovebox locks that goes with them, but to find just the blanks, un-cut, by themselves, is really quite rare.

The point I was making is that somebody spent over 400 bones for 2 blanks that costed about $1.30 each, 10 years ago.

Living proof of what a "purist" will do to get "New Original Stock" parts.

I understand, I just think that they could have bought a complete set of new locks for their car from Nissan and gotten the new precut keys to go with them. FWIW, the blanks probably aren't worth as much as the keys that come with the new locks because the precut keys have key codes stamped in them just like the original keys that came with the car did. Still, I'm jelous that somebody has the money to spend that much on key blanks. I hope the rest of their car is perfect.

I just did the "lock and key" delete mod, even removing the ignition switch. The only one who will be able to figure out how to start the car in any decent amount of time will be...

Me.

I'll also be the one wearing the steering wheel over my backpack while I'm at the mall/store/movies.

Not that I'd ever take my car near any establishment populated mostly by anyone under the age of 25 or so.