HybridZ

bottom mount intercooler

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

intake temp in british thermal units, multiplied by air velocity in feet per hour (is that air inside the intercooler, or air through the intercooler?) multiplied by square footage of intercooler, multiplied by ambient air temperature in degrees farenheit equals 65-is that the correct way to interperet those values? but what unit is the answer given in, and what does it represent?

The ICAO International Standard Atmosphere standard conditions for zero density altitude are 0 meters (0 feet) altitude, 15 deg C (59 deg F) air temp, 1013.25 mb (29.921 in Hg) pressure and 0 % relative humidity ( absolute zero dew point). The standard sea level air density is 1.225 kg/m3 (0.002378 slugs/ft3).

Prox, you lost me buddy. I was trying to figure out what the equation OTM posted was supposed to tell us about his mystery metal intercooler material. I assumed it was supposed to give us some kind of heat exchange efficiency or something...How does that stuff fit in to his equation?

Let me give an example...I have done this and it freaked me out.

You put a block of this material on your hand. Once it is on your hand you put an ice cube on top of the block. In about 15-20 seconds the cube is completely melted and your hand is very cold. It sucks the heat out of your hand and puts it into the ice.

even assuming the material conducts heat very well.... you still have to expose a lot of surface area to cool the air itself...

It might see some

minisculel reduction in size.... but if you are using an air to air intercooler... then it will still look like a standard intercooler... and it will be similarly sized.

heat conductivity of the material will not greatly effect the size of the intercooler.... assuming you are using air/air exchange.... please explain how even a theoreticly PERFECT conductor would significantly reduce the size of the intercooler...

well saying you have an aluminium intercooler it still is keeping a bunch of temperature inside. Granted aluminium is a good conductor of heat but you eed the extra size of a larger intercooler to more effectively cool the charged air. If you can cool the charged air in a shorter time by having a more effective method of evacuating the heat from the charged air then you should be able use a smaller intercooler. This material has been proven as a radiator of heat.

Am I wrong here?

I believe the number was that this material conducts heat 17 times better than 1000 series aluminium does.

Basically what I was told was that it tries to equalize the temperatures of everything it is touching. If you run a nitrous purge or Co2 setup on the intercooler then it will be much more effective at heating up the cooling agent (Co2 or Nos).

I'll try to get some more info on it. I'll go look it up now in my stuff.

intake temp in british thermal units, multiplied by air velocity in feet per hour (is that air inside the intercooler, or air through the intercooler?) multiplied by square footage of intercooler, multiplied by ambient air temperature in degrees farenheit equals 65-is that the correct way to interperet those values? but what unit is the answer given in, and what does it represent?

Standard temp is 59* F not 65*

Well... just consider that the material you make the intercooler out of is only a small part of the equation...

Air itself is not a good conductor of heat... it requires flow and turbulence.... and large surface area exposure....

It must flow through the intercooler with minimal restriction.... on both sides of the exchange....

Add all this up and you are going to end up building an expensive custom intercooler that works pretty much like a cut up truck radiator...

• 2 weeks later...
I believe the number was that this material conducts heat 17 times better than 1000 series aluminium does.

Frankly, I have a really hard time believing this. Alumin(i)um has a thermal conductivity of about 200 W/mK, so 17 times better than this is about 3400 W/mK. The most conductive metal is silver, with a conductivity of about 400 W/mK, so your material is clearly non-metallic. I have found some things that say that a carbon nanotube can get to 6600 W/mK at room temperature (compared to the paltry 3320 W/mK of pure diamond), but good luck making a radiator out of either of those. I'm calling shenanigans. No offense intended.