HybridZ

240z turbo

gjc5500

hmmm. how much HP does the stock l28 put out. how much psi will it take.

L28 or L28ET? one is naturally asp... the other is turbocharged. The L28 stock puts about 135-150 (depending on the year, and trans/diff). The L28ET puts out about 170-180 (pushing stock boost). You can safely up the boost to about 9-10 psi w/o an intercooler, and 12-13 with an IC, on stock injectors. You'd be over 200whp at 12psi. Other minor mods: Better air filter, big IC, free flowing exhaust, Z31T ecu... you'd be up to say 220-230whp. These are just rough estimates at the moment....

and what has to be changed inside the car

Of a 240Z.... very little. Just need somewhere to mount the ecu.

If you change the tranny then you will have to change the speedo cable. The tach should remain untouched. Your three-guage cluster should probably be switched out with the better water and oil temp/pressure gauges and you should probably replace the boost gauge with an aftermarket one that will be a bit more acutate if you are planning on upping the boost, if not the stock turbo gauge will be fine. (This is why I sugesst getting a whole donor car, so you get all these little parts you need). All of it shouldnt take you more than a few hours, its all pretty strait forward stuff.

ok, i wanna keep my original tranny. will that work? if so, will my speedo still be the same. the guages aare OK and im gonna get a good boost guage. prolly ount where my cig lighter was(its dead and i dont use it)

i like the guages that are in there and i dont really feel like pulling the dash(its already cracked and i dont want ot risk breaking it further)

will this be fine?

If you keep the old tranny you will not need to do anything to the speedo cable. However, you should really change the tranny for two big reasons:

1. If you are going through all this trouble to change the engine over you should probably get rid of the old 4-speed tranny while youre already in there.

2. I can tell you from presonal experiance that it is WAY easier to just lift the engine out with the tranny attatched rather than trying detach/mate the block to the tranny in the engine bay.

The stock 180 diff and 4 speed will work just fine. However, the clutch will not. You need to install a stock 2+2 clutch (240mm). Nissan sells a clutch kit for 160.00, get a 9 bolt flywheel and 2+2 bearing hub from the junk yard for 30.00, and get the flywheel resurfaced for 25.00. Don't forget to get the pressure plate bolts.

You will also need a 280Z tach from a 75 to 78.

If you are running stock boost, you really don't need a boost gage. It is nice to have, but not really needed. A simple A-pillar mounted boost gage is all will you need.

Swaping a transmission is easy work. If you don't want to change the trans now then don't.

i was thinking that after ive swapped the engine, id start saving to find a nice 6speed tranny that would fit. r there ne that fit?

I'm really trying to hold back flame-age on you bro... why the hell would you try to put a 6speed on an L28? Do you know that the gear ratios are VERY different on 6speeds? Do you plan on driving @ 120+mph all the time? How often will you need to cruise in 6th gear? It's so low that you don't even need it below 80-90mph.

And how you gunna mount a 6speed to the L28ET? You'd spend as much for a custom hookup/bell housing, as the tranny itself.... all that so you can throw it into 6th once a year?

I haven't turbo'd a Z, but I have installed a draw through setup on my 79 RX-7. Besides the basic kit I also had to tap my engine for an oil line, take off the oil pan and weld on a connection for the oil return, and I installed a oil pressure guage, new fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. I welded a bung onto my downpipe and installed an o2 sensor with an A/F meter mounted in the dash.

You'll have to come up with a way to get the air/fuel mixture into the turbo first, then into the head. I'm not sure if anyone makes an intake manifold like that for the L24.

I had two problems with the draw through setup, the first was starting the thing. The air/fuel mixture has to run out of the carb, down to the turbo, around it (it won't be spinning at idle) and back into the motor. I notice it took a good 4 or 5 seconds cranking on the thing to get it to fire.

The other issue was the idea of having atomized fuel running through a hot turbo. I never had it ignite in there, but it was something that Corky Bell warned about in his book. The compressor side of the turbo will get hot, there's no doubt about it.

I believe there's a chance of it condensing in an intercooler if you are thinking about running one too.

Hope that helps...if I were you, I'd look at swapping in the turbo motor from the 280zxt. EFI and a blow through setup would be worth it in my opinion.

Chuck