HybridZ

Nice knowing you guys!

Forrest

Forrest,

have fun with the bike. I picked up the GS1000 this summer and me and the wife went on a 3 day trip going over independence pass here in Colorado. It was one of the most fun times we had this summer. She said recently that we have to go on at least one more trip through the Colorado mountains before I decide to sell the bike.

I use to be the type of person that worried, then in the last year I realized that a short life full of fun is better than a long life full of none. People tell you that kind of stuff all the time, but it actually soaked in to me. I am not saying be crazy, just like you said, don't be older regretting that you never bought a bike.

Ok my story follows:

1975 - the bike is a Yamaha RD 350 - 40 days old with 4700 miles on it (college, intramurals, canyon carving in north GA).

I'm on the way to karate class and have a red light at a 5 lane road (2 lanes each direction and a turn lane). Checking out a cute blond in a silver Audi 100 in the lane next to me.

I turn back and the light turns green. I look and there is a line of cars stopped in the near lane, I wait a second, and go - A '75 Town Car runs the light in the second lane, which can't be seen because he's coming from downhill. He slams the brakes on 30 feet from the intersection just as I'm starting across his lane.

I snap my head to the left see him and say OH SH*T! - I'm gonna die...

I had always thought about what to do in situations that could pop up and thiat is probably the only thing that saved me - I cracked the throttle wide open and went limp. Since I was in the habit of always being 'on the pipe' when in an intersectrion, the bike shot forward and started to wheelie, which carried my left leg past his left front fender, and the wheelie got my but OVER the fender. When he hit me, it tore the bike out from under me and spun me around ~90 degrees, my butt hit the ground and his rear tire ran over my left leg/ankle. At no time did my head touch bike, car or ground.

There was an off duty PO from the next county on a Kawasaki 400 waiting to make a left hand turn at the stoplight coming the opposite direction (missed the turn signal - had just pulled up), that later told me he thought I was a goner and that he didn't know if he would have done what I did in that circumstance.

He noticed my yellow belt which was wrapped around my gi which someone took off my bike after shutting it off (it was stuck at WOT laying in the middle of the intersection) to put under my head. He asked me if it hurt (leg bleeding and ankle all F*cked up) and I said 'I'm trying not to think about it. He comes back with 'that only works when you get to brown belt' and I said 'THANKS A LOT' and we both laughed.

Long story short - he showed up for the traffic ticket written on the guy (who was late taking his maid to the busstop). The guy tried to plead not guilty, even though he saw me come into the courtroom (crutches and full length leg cast). When the judge asked if there were any other witnesses (obviously wanting to discount the long haired hippie-type college boy), he about SH*T his pants when a uniformed PO stood up and stated that he saw the whole thing and that he did in fact run the light and cause the accident.

Sorry to be so long, but there were a couple of lessons learned here:

There is NO WAY you are always going to be able to see what is coming.

It's ALWAYS good to be in the powerband when you are crossing an intersection (not a much of a problem now that there aren't many two-strokes around, but still - don't be lugging it).

I firmly believe that it PAYS to mentally prepare yourself for the unexpected (not while you're riding of course, but when you're not doing anything - kicking back). Thinking about the best way to handle a situation in advance gives you a bit of an edge. Kind of like when you took typing class and mentally typed out words - that kind of mental excercise helped me become the fastet typer in class and believe me, I started as the slowest, and this was on manual typewriters back in the 60's.

And lastly - if you'r gonna ride - either do it in the country or in a group and wear loud colors.

Ok I've rambled on long enough...

I've had my "M" class for 24 years and never wrecked on the street. Be smart, ride offensively, and always assume the idiots will be there to run you down... Now don't talk to me about dirt bikes... :lmao:

And you've picked a great first bike. The guys who pick the sportbike running 10s in the quarter as their first bike are the organ donors...

Mike

And you've picked a great first bike. The guys who pick the sportbike running 10s in the quarter as their first bike are the organ donors...

Mike

Agree, I seen some noobs with hayabusas not a very smart choice..... me I started with a 600. Once you start riding you will notice everyday you will have new obstacles to overcome. I had a lot of close calls myself most splitting lanes on the freeway and cars getting into my lane. The funny part is that I haven’t dropped my bike yet popping wheelies or doing stunts. (knock on wood).

Just look everywhere and make that invisible bubble that they teach you in class lol.