HybridZ

how much boost can i run with this setup?

I melted a hole in my piston about a month ago so i put another motor together.

I am using the N/A f54 block w/ the flat top pistons and the turbo p90 head that has been resurfaced 4 times and a stock 1.25mm sized head gasket.

I have megasquirt ems w/ 550cc injectors and lc1 wideband. I'm not sure what compression this motor is going to be and what a safe boost level would be on this motor.

I was running 13psi on the other motor w/ 25 year old stock inj's for awhile but a injector messed up and i melted the piston.

Is anyone boostin with the flat top pistons and how reliable is it?

Compression Ratio? Boost? I should have no fuel problems now.

I have been tuning it. I make sure im not running to much of a spark advance at high boost. The other motor never pinged or predetonated except that one time. I have no idea how much they shave off the head when they resurface it. It was only warped one time the other times i just got it resurfaced when i changed the head gasket.

I think 8 or 9 psi with a good tune will be plenty of power. I haven't put my motor in yet b/c im waiting on flywheel bolts i ordered but i guess i shoulda just went and got them from the dealer.

It was only warped one time the other times i just got it resurfaced when i changed the head gasket.

I wouldn't shave it unless it isn't straight. No need to do it everytime the head comes off. You could cc a chamber to figure out the CR. If you are under 9:1 wyou shouldn't have a problem with 15 psi if the timing isn't oo much.

I wouldn't shave it unless it isn't straight. No need to do it everytime the head comes off. You could cc a chamber to figure out the CR. If you are under 9:1 wyou shouldn't have a problem with 15 psi if the timing isn't oo much.

Looks like good advise to me. Seems like you may be running more compression than you think you are.

I already drove 200 miles on the motor and it feels awesome. it builds 8 psi in neutral. I has tons of bottom end power and feels faster w/ stock boost now then when i was running 15 psi at the track. Friday ill find out if it really is faster at the 1/8 mile.

Really, 8 lb of boost in neutral just revving the motor? You sure about that?

I guess I don't understand the purpose of being able to build boost in neutral reving the engine and how that means anything in regards to performance capability. You didn't specify stabbing the throttle several times to achieve that level of boost, so one can only guess. My understanding was if the throttle was at WOT and you were running a two step that boost could be achieved at launch with a manual trans. Auto is different since you stall the converter which puts the engine under load.

I've read corky bells book and sever other sites that grumpyvette so kindly posted about 30 of, I think I read two or three links worth which was a wealth of information. So my understanding of the dynamics of operation isn't real world like alot of you guys on here.

While you may do it, how does that show or depict what the car does under load? Help me here if you would. I would think that what you are describing is a turbo that has little if any lag, may be too small and run out of cfm for any top end depending on boost level, but I guess it depends on what your trying to accomplish and what area of the turbo map your running in correct? From what I've read and know, which isn't that much, something doesn't sound right about having that ability without being under load, but maybe you could enlighten me.

I was just sayin that i could tell it has more compression by just how it spooled in neutral (before it would only boost around 3 psi at redline and now it hit 8psi w/o reving past 5000rpms. True, it doesn't have anything to do performance wise besides that it is a tiny stock t3) . The turbo is too small and i'm gettin rid of it as soon as i replace my rear-end again and cv axles.