HybridZ

JohnC - any more details of the ROD's front strut bars

John,

I remember you once saying your front strut tower bars on the ROD were design using FEA plus I just like your design from a structural standpoint so would like to steal it for my car if you dont mind. Do you have any details other than the one pic on your sight? Maybe any close-up photo's, material thicknesses, etc. I'm most interested in exactly how you re-inforce and tied into the firewall and strut tower.

Thanks

Cameron

One suggestion I would make to Cameron is to box the ends of the structure. I had mine open like John's, and then when I added bars down to the sway bar mount I closed the open ends off. Made the brackets a lot stiffer. Mine also stick out higher and farther than John's which meant that I could run a straight bar instead of having to bend it over the valve cover, but you can see where mine had to be shaped differently for air filter clearance.

DSCN1053.jpg

DSCN1054.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

Figured it out. There's an album in my member gallery called Fabrication. Pictures are there.

Thanks John - just what I was looking for. Two more Q's though. First do you remember what thickness plate you used - I'm thinking somewhere about 12 to 16 gauge but hard to tell. Also did you re-inforce the back side of the firewall at all?

Thanks again

Cameron

PS: I see you ended up re-doing the strut tower plate to better transition the stress between the raw pics and the painted one.

PPS to Jon: Yeah I already thought about that based on some FEA I've seen at work on a similar type of system

PS: I see you ended up re-doing the strut tower plate to better transition the stress between the raw pics and the painted one.

Sorry, I was looking at one of the pics backwards. Was referring to how the front side transitions to a point where the back side is squared off. Not saying there is anything wrong with the back but the front being tapered down to a point should help transition the stress into the tower nicely.

Cameron

I think the plating was .083" 4130. There was no need to reinforce the back side of the firewall because the firewall mount spans the bottom (see the line of spot welds on the firewall) and the top cowl panels. The firewall mount is basically the base of a triangle.