HybridZ

Done with twice pipes exhaust!

mario_82_ZXT

Finished it today. Had it done yesterday but it was too low, so I redid the rear today.

It's more tucked up then my stock one was except at the very front near the headers.

Setup is the MSA coated 3-2 headers with full dual setup front to rear. It's very deep at idle with a god awful drone at 2.5k rpms but it really quiets up above or below that. When you punch it it absolutely screams!

Car pulls all the way to redline very linearly now, doesn't seem like it's running out of breath like it used to.

I want to design my own intake (and fabricate it at school) to supercharge it with the stock hood. I know it's not the best setup but I want something a little different =D.

Mario

Here's the part where you get bombarded with questions:burnout:

What size pipes?

what mufflers?

crossover?(h or x or none)

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Can you get someone to tape a run from outside the car? I'm really curious about this setup. I really like the scream when you are fully into it, it's pretty angry!

Have you thought about putting a resonators beneath the trans to cut down on the drone? I planned on using Moroso spiral-flows instead of the usual glasspacks or "bullet" style.

Ive had them on a kind of wild little 240Z that I built up just a bit, over some years ago, the twice pipes to me are awesome and I havent ever had a drone with mine. I guess the header selection would make a difference on that as well too.

I loved mine, though I did mount them differently as they come welded side to side but if you cut the bracket and sometime syou get away, but you sometimes have to weld the lil glass pack up but, I had put mine one on top of othe other and it sounded so aweomse.

LOL I LOVE THE TWICE PIPES!!!

I was just listening to your video and they soud a bit raspy from what I remember, like I said it might be the diff in build and header and cam selection or what not, mine sounded as many would have stated like a V-8. Hmm maybe one at idle just doesnt sound as i remember with mine.

I was looking at some old posted exhausts and some others online that had them fully split, so i decided to go with that.

They are a tiny bit above 1 3/4 pipe each, with 2in pipe till about all the way down the tranny. Should be about the same as about a 2.5in single pipe.

They are pretty loud, I'm thinking of changing the 2 glass packs for actual mufflers, or at least some spiral flows.

Mario

Hey Mario your exhaust sounds great!

well I'll have to show my vid...L26, Rooundtop SUs, mystery header with 1.65" primaries, rare "c" cam, 2.5" pipe to a turbo muffler. With about half o my interior. I drove it once with no interior at all and it is like driving a tin can! Very Loud! Hey mario you need a lightweight flywheel so it doesn't sound like you are spooling a turbo...I have an 11 pound flywheel in this vid. 082511.jpg

Here is another vid with some in car driving.

And a video that is a sideshow of picures and audio of my exhaust. (new ignition module that made my car idle really good.

Haha sweet vids, but is it always raining where you live?

30 mins after I filmed mine the sky broke loose and had this massive monsoon like rain.

I really want a new fly wheel, plus the tranny grinds shifting into second (like almost always now), and also into 4th at high rpm. It's funny you mentioned it, but other then the dash and the seats the car is completely gutted. I have no place to mount the camera hence the crappy view.

I can get some wheel spin hitting second (accompanied by a terrible grind), and in the wet I can easily break traction. I haven no idea if it's a stock rebuild or not though...

Your exhaust sounds great but at the same time it sounds almost like every other Z with a single exhaust, this is my little "while in college" experiment, hence the idea for a custom intake, s/c, twice pipes, and a bunch of other random stuff.

Leaving for college in a few weeks, next year's plans is intake and megasquirt, and its (hopefully) going to get painted this winter.

Mario

• 2 weeks later...

In the very early 90's we ran a dual exhaust on the ITS car behind Clifford Research headers with 20 inch long megaphones on each pipe straight out the back. 108db on the back straight at the old Road Atlanta and it was the sweetest sound. But two things killed that setup- SCCA lowered the sound requirement to 98 and we discovered the dual exhaust cost us about 10 hp....

In the very early 90's we ran a dual exhaust on the ITS car behind Clifford Research headers with 20 inch long megaphones on each pipe straight out the back. 108db on the back straight at the old Road Atlanta and it was the sweetest sound. But two things killed that setup- SCCA lowered the sound requirement to 98 and we discovered the dual exhaust cost us about 10 hp....

Did it have an H or X pipe?

I'm thinking about adding one, I just don't know where, and then some other kind of muffler because these glasspacks are too loud to screw around at night with....

Mario

It did not have a crossover. That may help, however, we did do some limited testing with different lengths of secondary pipe (the pipe between the collectors and the Y that finally brought it all into 1) after the headers, and the sooner you collect it ino 1 the better. For our application anyway. I doubt the crossover would help much in a 6 cyl. I think you'd still be worse off than with a single, but I could be wrong.