HybridZ

Z rear disc brake CNC bracket/group interest/buy?

As some know I've been working with a CNC shop on the potential to do this disc brake bracket. Mike Gibson and I are coordinating our efforts in making this happen.

To summarize, the bracket will be completely CNC'd from steel. It will allow the owner to bolt on 82-83 280zx calipers with OE rear discs onto a 70-78 Z car and retain ebrake function.

I'm still working with the machinist on nailing down the cost, by end of this week Mike and I should have drawings finalized or close enough for a very accurate cost to be known. We estimate this to be $150-160US per pair with $150US being our goal.

Being CNC the greater the interest the more likely we can achieve our cost goal.

This bracket setup this will also be interchangeable with the 5 lug conversion rotor Mike currently has, his setups at this URL www.outlaw-brakes.com

Please drop a note here to confirm your interest or email us at

280zx@home.com

mike@fonebooth.com

All comments welcome here. As well if you have other CNC ideas please drop me a line at 280zx@home.com and they may prove viable.

We feel our proposed bracket appeals to most as it uses the preferred later 280zx caliper with 25% more pad area and better appearance relative to the early caliper. By pure coincidence their is an ebay 'dutch' auction underway by a completly unrelated individual at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=589723018&r=0&t=0 for a bracket using the early caliper. We wanted to voice our intents quickly to make everyone aware of our proposed 'option'. Don't be alarmed by the ebay minimum of 50 units stipulated by the unrelated 'option'. We can work with smaller numbers if need be.

We'd like to see this bracket succeed and fuel our interest to pursue other CNC efforts to improve our Z parts choices so please follow through with helpful communication to either of us.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

Check your email.

David

Pipelines slow.....no mail yet but exchanging instant with some others. Kinda surprised at slow response but maybe I'm anxious. Getting good feedback/initial commitments in other arenas. Looking to bump numbers high enough to streamline the costing to meet goals without sweating.

Guest Fast Frog

Ross:

I'm definately interested in at least one pair(since I have more than one Z car, I might be interested in 2 or more).

I've not paid a lot of attention to the many posts regarding upgrading the 280Z rear drum brakes. Would you briefly outline the steps and components needed for this upgrade using your setup??

Thanx much,

Rick icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the input guys. The brackets themselves are bolt on and yes they can take the place of Mike's weld on pieces mentioned on his website. The rear backing plate does have to be torched off (or a sizeable grinding effort) initially to allow the full access. Mike and I hooked up last week a couple times to discuss details and compare ideers on the parts involved etc.

We tried to get a detailed 'update' together but it didn't happen with other constraints so here's my brief summary of options:

First choice:

-240sx caliper, production covers 10 yrs or so to quite recent (88-98?)pad size same as late 280zx, obviously far easier to get good used ones...installs around 10 o'clock and appears an obvious simpler choice to me/ebrake cable comes in straight/perpendicular to longitudinal axis of car (parallel with halfshaft axis) cable approaches quite easily , some mod is required no matter what caliper is used to hook up the cables but seems fairly straightfwd for anyone taking a bit of time to do it..., ebrake arm doesn't clear halfshaft outer U joints by much BUT it does clear enough which is all that really counts (not sure how it would clear CV retrofits??), only real downside here IMO is two different brackets are needed as they're not symmetrical (only a 90 degree bracket would be symmetrical/ 3/6/9/12 o'clock etc) so costs are a bit higher but we still aim to hit the $150 mark

Second choice:

-late 280ZX caliper......installs at 9 o'clock, ebrake cable does not approach near as well, it has to come parallel with halfshafts and then make a near 90 degree turn forward to use the ebrake arm....been done by many I guess but I didn't really like that, arm needs to be heated and bent to clear properly as well, calipers are in yards but not as available I suppose.......do many already have the 280zx calipers who've been wanting to do this swap so will want this bracket either way?.....I'm leaning more towards 200sx only, if anything as our 1st CNC venture as more would (I'm guessing) prefer the newer caliper that could still be found functional in the yards

Feedback welcome. I have my preliminary measurements done for the 240sx caliper/bracket. Just need to sketch up what I want made for the 1st 'one-off' non CNC prototype to verify it all checks out. Then have it made and we'll test it out.

PS the bracket and caliper etc are bolt on/but all entertaining the idea should be prepared for the mods for the ebrake hookup/not drastic efforts by any means and we'll provide the detail needed.

For the CV retrofitters I'll take a measurement to see how far the 240sx ebrake 'arm' extends past the inner hub flange/housing for a reference. Then we can compare this with clearances on Scottie's CV 'system' and it might not be an issue..or we may find out offsetting the caliper .1 or more of an inch outside the rotor would allow it to clear......losing a little pad contact might be tolerable for them in that instance

Not sure what you mean by torching/grinding off the backing plate. I don't recall having any troubles removing the backing plate from my struts. The real chore is the stub axle removal. And those about to do this swap, remember to budget for the $$$ rear bearings which you should replace while you're at it.

Anyway, as I have already done my rear brakes, I obviously won't be participating in this. BUT, my recommendation is to shoot for the 240sx or 200sx calipers, if only for the caliper availability/cost issue. These turbo 280ZX rear calipers are difficult to find and expensive. Rebuilt ones are crazy expensive. Even the rebuild kits are high, and those dust shields are a huge pain in the a$$ to install.

quote:

Originally posted by jeromio:

Not sure what you mean by torching/grinding off the backing plate.

We'd prefer to avoid removal of the stub axle and consequently grind/cut the backing plate off. This attracts a lot more as it's easier done by a shadetree is the feedback I have. Avoids slide hammer/machine shop to press bearings etc. Doesn't mean you can't do that maintenance obviously but doesn't make it mandatory and an extra expense as you noted.

I've asked before but... Has anyone seen the Sport Compact article where they show the 200SX brakes that we're using and then talk about an upgrade for the SX using I think NX brakes? The pad size is supposed ot be bigger and the looks of the caliper itself are also much nicer. It's supposed to b a bolt-on for th eSX so I'd ASSume it might also be a bolt-on solution for those of us looking at SX brakes.

The SX setup has no E-brake and neither would this NX setup so consider that too....

Guest RyalC

I would be interested. I already have the calipers and rotors for SCCA's 240sx conversion. I am considering going to larger brakes however and like to bolt-on possibilities.

Guest scca

back and tanned icon_smile.gif

Ryal........ how's the car coming along..

for you with the big front setup you should look at the "new" stage 2 rear thats basically done..

it will be a 11" solid rotor with the outlaw 1000 billet 2 piston rear caliper.

Mikelly did a similar setup on his car and Blkmgk will have this setup With a mechanical additional spot caliper setup in about 2 weeks.

Ross and I should have the brackets fairly soon in the production stage for both methods...

Just a thought: I was on Zcar.com deleting my Z for sale, when I decided to visit the forums. I noticed a Brit looking for a rear braket for a rear disc conversion. Ross, I think you'll have no problem in selling these brakets. There is enough interest in this I'm competely sure; you'll have no trouble in selling them. Good luck on getting them finished.

David