HybridZ

color

Guest Gasoline

Guest Gasoline

i'm not sure if this is the right forum but does color have any effect on performance? Like dark colors attract heat so between 2 exact cars (one light and one dark) does the light colored one have a slight advantage against the other one? or would black wheels promote brake fade because of more heat in that area or a black hood transfer heat to an engine bay? i'd say yes but i'm not sure so i wanna make sure my theory is right

I'm unable to confirm this, but I've heard from a number of very highly respected Ricers in Somerset (Two are reportedly pushing for the 15's this season!) that bright, neon colors like green and purple will add approx. 11hp per square foot of coverage.

In all seriousness, I dont think it would make any difference in the performance realm, but Ive been wrong before (so say the witness') and may even be wrong again..

Muspuppis, there may be some truth to that: The two fastest man-made objects ever were both made from reflective material. Helios I and Helios II were space probes launched in the 70's to study the sun at close range, and achieved a maximum velocity of 150,000 miles per hour. They appear to have been constructed from some highly polished material, and I can only imagine they would have been at LEAST one or two miles per hour faster if they were green...

helios.jpg

*edit* Gasoline, I don't want to make you feel unwelcome to the board, we're just having a little fun. I suspect that there is nothing to be gained or lost by choosing a particular color over another, except as far as weight is concerned. A car with absolutely no paint at all would be lighter, and therefore slightly faster, assuming all else to be equal. I doubt that any standard formulation of wheel paint would significantly affect brake performance either, otherwise a quick glance at what they're doing to f-1 cars should tell you what color to paint both your car, and your wheels.

ok the only thing IMO that would poss help performance would be on the surface drag side meaning having a smoother finish to your paint might decrease your air drag a very small fraction other than that i guess you would think about the weight of the paint itself and what color is the lightest and would cover the car with the thinnest amount of paint to still look good

what color that is i dont know still talking very small fractions of benefit

pink is the fastest color.... lol

Guest Gasoline

*edit* Gasoline' date=' I don't want to make you feel unwelcome to the board, we're just having a little fun. I suspect that there is nothing to be gained or lost by choosing a particular color over another, except as far as weight is concerned. A car with absolutely no paint at all would be lighter, and therefore slightly faster, assuming all else to be equal. I doubt that any standard formulation of wheel paint would significantly affect brake performance either, otherwise a quick glance at what they're doing to f-1 cars should tell you what color to paint both your car, and your wheels.[/quote']

it's cool ,i was just off the net for the weekend doing a couple of things *cough*fsu football kicks ass*cough* thanks for the help though guys

A car with absolutely no paint at all would be lighter, and therefore slightly faster, assuming all else to be equal.

Why not leave your clothes at home ride naked in it as well.

And don't forget to go No. 2 before you leave the house (save extra weight)

icon10.gif

posted by Mull:

I did that once, but the fact that I also had a girl in the passenger seat offset the weight advantage (even though she left her clothes at home as well)...we ended up not even being able to leave the parking lot for about an hour...

Contrary to popular belief, red is not the fastest color. Pink is! Just think about how many times you've chased pink and never caught it!

Speaking from experience, are you Doc? I only chase the FASTEST pink. It's funny how the faster the pink is the easier it is to catch:tongue:

Muspuppis' date=' there may be some truth to that: The two fastest man-made objects ever were both made from reflective material....

[/quote']

I'm going to chrome my entire car so I can go 150,000 MPH:D I had to use the slow yellow smilies. I think we should ask the admins for some shiny ones so we can post faster!!

GASOLINE... I'm just ribbing you;-)

And don't forget to go No. 2 before you leave the house (save extra weight)

icon10.gif

Hey Mull. Do you think a high colonic would help... REALLY cut down on weight? Maybe it'll shave a couple seconds of your ET?