HybridZ

454 Chevy vs. 500 Caddy

Guest Mike

My 350 SBC may be toast... I don't know yet. The SBC is currently mounted with a Scarab style kit. I have a JTR kit to remount the SBC if it's okay. If the 350 needs a lot of work, I may just opt for a big block. This is in a 260, BTW.

QUESTIONS: I know the 454 will bolt straight in but I don't know about the Caddy 500. How much more fabrication must be done for the Caddy motor. If the JTR kit won't work, I'll buy the pieces from someone who has done this swap and has accurately made parts. I think this would be an awesome swap!!!

I know others have considered the 500 but I can't find any completed installs.

Grumpy... do you know? I'm aware that you've suggested this very swap.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure that is not true. The big block is, well, bigger than the small block.

I'm nearly positive the mounting bosses are the same for both blocks, so the 454 should bolt in. At least the 396 and 427 do. I think Michael and Corzette both have Zs with BBCs. They are most qualified to talk about it. Guys?

Davy

I am pretty sure that is not true. The big block is, well, bigger than the small block.

The SBC and BBC share the same motor mounts but the BB is a couple inches longer and a bit taller. The JTR kit will cure that little issue:D

I'm nearly positive the mounting bosses are the same for both blocks' date=' so the 454 should bolt in. At least the 396 and 427 do. I think Michael and Corzette both have Zs with BBCs. They are most qualified to talk about it. Guys?

Davy[/quote']

I'm sure the 454 is a direct bolt-in provided I switch from the current Scarab style mounting kit to the JTR kit. What I don't know is how difficult is a Caddy 500 to install. How much different is the mounting configuration compared to the Chevy? Is it only the motor mounts? Will a Chevy (well-built) 200R4 tranny bolt up to the Caddy block... or do I need a Caddy tranny too?

I'm nearly positive the mounting bosses are the same for both blocks' date=' so the 454 should bolt in. At least the 396 and 427 do. I think Michael and Corzette both have Zs with BBCs. They are most qualified to talk about it. Guys?

Davy[/quote']

Hmmm, well mine is mounted with a custom cross member mount if you will, that ties into the frame rails on either side. The mounting points are also different on the 396 mount as opposed to the 350. The 350 bolts from the bottom up to the mount tower and the 396 has a pin through front to back for attachment I believe. I wish I were home and get some pics. This maybe able to be fabricated in the future as it sits the engine perfectly in the bay with out any issues!!! The Big Block is tall and longer and a little wider so the damper and steering rack will be an issue if you go to low up front. This semi cradle mount I have is perfect in my opinion. Loren if your out there can you chime in on the mount. BBC Z is the one I got the 280 BBZ from and did the build....

You will need a cowled hood of some some unless you want the airfilter sticking out via hole like mine. I can shut the hood with the cleaner off but the carb is sucking hood at that point...4 inch cowl should work perfectly...

Terry

Hmmm' date=' well mine is mounted with a custom cross member mount if you will, that ties into the frame rails on either side. The mounting points are also different on the 396 mount as opposed to the 350. The 350 bolts from the bottom up to the mount tower and the 396 has a pin through front to back for attachment I believe. I wish I were home and get some pics. This maybe able to be fabricated in the future as it sits the engine perfectly in the bay with out any issues!!! The Big Block is tall and longer and a little wider so the damper and steering rack will be an issue if you go to low up front. This semi cradle mount I have is perfect in my opinion. Loren if your out there can you chime in on the mount. BBC Z is the one I got the 280 BBZ from and did the build....

You will need a cowled hood of some some unless you want the airfilter sticking out via hole like mine. I can shut the hood with the cleaner off but the carb is sucking hood at that point...4 inch cowl should work perfectly...

Terry[/quote']

Am I wrong about the BBC and SBC having the same motor mounts? This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... but I remedied that first error with a divorce:D

I thought the BB is only an inch or less taller than the SB. I assumed the lower mounting configuration of the engine with the JTR kit would counter any hood clearance issues. I have an Alpha 1, BTW.

This website might be helpful to you. List of approximate external dimensions and weights of popular American V8 engines.

http://www.carnut.com/specs/fengdim.html

Link works today... thanks boodlefoof.

I had NO IDEA that the Caddy engine is FIVE inches taller than the SBC. I also had no idea that there are longer and shorter Chevy blocks. How does the old saying go?? The more I learn' date=' the the more I realize I know NOTHING... something like that.

Well then, a 500 Caddy won't be going into my Alpha 1. Although it would be an awesome motor, it won't clear the hood. I want to keep the Alpha 1 hood.

Does anyone know if I can keep my Alpha 1 hood with a JTR kit and a 454 motor? If I can't, then my remaining option (if my 350 is bad) is a SB stroker.

Caddy is BOP,

Chevy big block uses the same bolt pattern as sbc

Chevy is the different one, meaning it won’t interchange with BOP & Caddy,

The older Caddy with round bell housing was the same as the nail head Buick, this is pre-BOP,

Nail head came after flat head, nailhead implies valves in head the valve stems had a resemblance to nails, especially since a flat head was like a board, 2x12 perhaps, actually I thought this was a discussion of the feasibly & pros & cons 454 – 500, why not get a junk yard hood and modify it?

For any one (new to this) BOP stands for Buick-Olds-Pontiac, pollution control sucked all the guts out of the 1971 & on till recently big blocks, peanut cams, dish pistons etc… but they still have a decent torque as such a strong transmission should be used.

Caddy is BOP' date=' [/font']

Chevy big block uses the same bolt pattern as sbc

Chevy is the different one, meaning it won’t interchange with BOP & Caddy,

The older Caddy with round bell housing was the same as the nail head Buick, this is pre-BOP,

Nail head came after flat head, nailhead implies valves in head the valve stems had a resemblance to nails, especially since a flat head was like a board, 2x12 perhaps, actually I thought this was a discussion of the feasibly & pros & cons 454 – 500, why not get a junk yard hood and modify it?

For any one (new to this) BOP stands for Buick-Olds-Pontiac, pollution control sucked all the guts out of the 1971 & on till recently big blocks, peanut cams, dish pistons etc… but they still have a decent torque as such a strong transmission should be used.

Thanks leet. I'm looking for a "fairly" straightforward swap. I want this engine to bolt in to my JTR kit and a (built) 200R4 transmission. Minor mods such as swapping motor mounts is fine. I also want this to fit under the hood on my Alpha 1 kit car. I like the way the 250 GTO looks and I don't want to modify the hood much. Awesome big block torque is VERY tempting though. If I can fit a 454 under the hood, that's likely my choice. I suppose I wouldn't mind raising the hood hump an inch or so but no more than that.

Thanks leet. I'm looking for a "fairly" straightforward swap. I want this engine to bolt in to my JTR kit and a (built) 200R4 transmission. Minor mods such as swapping motor mounts is fine. I also want this to fit under the hood on my Alpha 1 kit car. I like the way the 250 GTO looks and I don't want to modify the hood much. Awesome big block torque is VERY tempting though. If I can fit a 454 under the hood, that's likely my choice. I suppose I wouldn't mind raising the hood hump an inch or so but no more than that.[/color']

I dont think you can run a stock hood with a big block, its like 5 inches taller than a Small blok. Mine is sitting as low as it will go and the top of the carb sucks hood with out the cleaner...so I say no it wont work. Go SBC 400 and build it and youll be just as happy! Hell 383 aint no slouch!!!

Terry

I dont think you can run a stock hood with a big block' date=' its like 5 inches taller than a Small blok. Mine is sitting as low as it will go and the top of the carb sucks hood with out the cleaner...so I say no it wont work. Go SBC 400 and build it and youll be just as happy! Hell 383 aint no slouch!!!

Terry[/quote']

I guess a bigger SBC is my choice then. Hopefully, my existing 350 is okay and I won't have to spend the $$$. But at least I now know what to look for if need be.