HybridZ

Another new guy

mray

hey guys I thought id finally introduce myself. Ive been lurking around learning things on this board for nearly a year and ive been searching for about a month for the Z I want. There's loads of info on this site and I go on at least 2 or 3 hrs a day. so yeaaah. ..yooooo guys hehe

-Ray

• Like 1

Im looking for a s30 under 75 since I live in CA. First off i want to take care of the suspension mods and then plan on a engine swap. Being more realistic since I just got out of high school would be a l28et or l28 EFI swap. When I first get it though ima just enjoy it for awhile until I get more money saved up. What I really want is a lsX swap or a sr20 yummmy

-Ray

That car looks fairly priced for what it is, but you are paying a premium for a bunch of stuff you won't need or can't use.

Bumpers are expensive on the 240 cars, as is an uncracked dash. For some reason known only to God himself those ugly ass hubcaps can sell for a lot if they are in good shape. I have personally thrown a set in a dumpster so I guess I have added to their rarity.

Being a 240 and especially a 70 adds even more.

If you want a V8, then look more towards the cheaper and more plentify 280's or 260's. The 260's are the red headed step child of the Z world, but if you go V8 it won't matter. The 280's are heavier, but they are arguably stonger and usually come with the stronger R200 rear end and stub axles.

Happy Hunting.

posted by Pop_n_Wood: For some reason known only to God himself those ugly ass hubcaps can sell for a lot if they are in good shape.

I second that notion, brother. I think the caps that came on my 280 are some of the most stylish wheel covers I've ever seen, I was even fooled when i first saw the car from a distance into thinking they were in fact the real wheel style. I had some other wheels, otherwise I'd have been tempted to just keep them.

Oh, and welcome to the boards, new guy! It's a lot of fun, especially here in the Non-Tech forum.

*edit* I just re-read that, and I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean for that to sound like you should stay in the Non-Tech forum or anything, just that there is some good humor going on here every once in awhile. Also, the tool shed is pretty funny sometimes too.

NO it doesnt matter what others think. If you buy it its your car do what you want. A 70 model is pleasently un complicated, and lightweight. However they also are much more prone to rust then the 260's and 280's, the 70's also have a different rear suspension that isnt so hot for the driveshaft u joints if i recall. But when you swap in a r200 all that will be taken care of ;).

A winner Z car is one with as little rust as you can find. It doesnt really matter what year, yo ucan make them all look the same.

I think four grand is a little high, unless it's really clean. Have you seen the car in person? The pictures don't show too much detail, and the add doesn't have too much detail about the condition. What's "major" rust, how straight are the bumpers, etc.

I think you could probably find a better deal, but it looks like it may be worth checking out. Like you posted earlier...definitely get a 75 or earlier in California if you want to swap.