HybridZ

302 Z Pictures

rudypoochris

You might try summit #SUM-G9063 The are shorties and I bent the right side a little and bolted them on the left side and it clears the steering shaft by just a little. The left side bolted on the right makes it clear the starter and might come out in front of the crossmember motor mount.

It's worth a try.

Don

That is all the room that is in front of the enigne for twin turbos, plumbing, intercoolers, etc. I'd say get a pair of shortie headers, install upside down facing the front, add twin turboos and hold on tightly! Check the following link for a low-buck easily done approach to said ideas.

http://www.toohighpsi.com

Good luck on ur Z!

My 302 install looks similar. Summit street rod headers worked good ' date=' cleared the steering shaft just fine but require a smaller PMG starter.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG9063%2D1&N=700+0&autoview=sku I got a small starter on E Bay for about $60.

302datsun

Wow thats sweet! I might just have to order some of those!

Also out of curiosity how did you fuel it. My stock mechanical fuel pump hits the steering shaft since the block is too low. We are thinking of going with a 14psi pump that flows something like 140gph and then putting in a return regulator. 3/8" fuel and 5/16" return.

I hooked up a Carter electric pump near the tank and used the stock 5/16 line with no return line. The pump puts out about 7PSI and requires no regulator. The same pump fuels the 351 in my Falcon which runs high 11's in the 1/4 with no fuel problems.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRT%2DP4600HP&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I hooked up a Carter electric pump near the tank and used the stock 5/16 line with no return line. The pump puts out about 7PSI and requires no regulator. The same pump fuels the 351 in my Falcon which runs high 11's in the 1/4 with no fuel problems.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRT%2DP4600HP&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Very intresting! Do you think my high fuel line will cause a vapor lock issue with the pump you are using? Do you ever have a vapor lock problem or never?

rudypoochris,

Are you building a crossmember to brace the motor mounts? If not do a search through the old posts from guys who've installed mounts the way you have and read what they have to say about the stress placed on the frame rails. Alsil reported his started to twist from the engine torque so he designed the crossmember mount he sells.

Wheelman

Very intresting! Do you think my high fuel line will cause a vapor lock issue with the pump you are using? Do you ever have a vapor lock problem or never?

The pump I used should work fine with your fuel line. Vapor lock was never experienced with my other car or the 240Z but the Datsun hasn't been driven much since the V8 swap. Usually vapor lock occurs when using an engine driven mechanical pump which is pulling fuel from a rear mounted tank. Rear mounted electric pumps pushing fuel to the motor shouldn't experience vapor lock. Insulating the fuel lines in the engine compartment wouldn't hurt though as it does get pretty hot under the Datsun hood.

rudypoochris' date='

Are you building a crossmember to brace the motor mounts? If not do a search through the old posts from guys who've installed mounts the way you have and read what they have to say about the stress placed on the frame rails. Alsil reported his started to twist from the engine torque so he designed the crossmember mount he sells.

Wheelman[/quote']

Im running a modified alsil's mount.