HybridZ

Overheated - benign fluke or disaster?

On the first urban-traffic shakedown run after some tuning, the coolant temperature suddenly started climbing from 190 to 200, 210, 220, 230 - before I managed the nerve to shut off the engine the temperature hit 235, bounced down to 230, then back to 235 - and this lasted for maybe 2-3 minutes. Perhaps less, but it felt like 2-3 minutes. When shut-off, the temperature needle was stubbornly parked at 235. I had to restart the engine to get out of traffic - another 30 seconds of operation at 235. Then final shutoff.

It turns out that the V-belt (connects crank pulley, water pump and alternator) had come off, and I was driving for about 1-2 miles without a water pump. No steam or visible damage. After returning from the local parts store with a new belt, the temperature cooled down to about 150. After reinstallation of the belt I commenced the rest of the drive. Temperature steady at 190, no smoking, no bucking, no surging - at least, none that could be discerned over the exhaust noise.

This is a nearly brand new engine - 10 miles on the odometer.

So, question: given the description above, how likely is serious damage? Or is the only real damage to my frayed nerves???

Michael,

Late model GM engines do not turn the fans on until 224*, these often have aluminum heads, etc.

235 is a bit warmer than I would like to see on a fresh combo, but you are probably OK.

My main concern would be where is the temp sender located and is it in a cooler spot than the hottest part of the engine.

i.e. No water pumping, the hottest portion of a SBC will be the center of the exhaust side of the cylinder head.

If your coolant temp sending unit is located in the head, you were probably getting a fairly accurate max temp reading. If it was located in the intake, you were probably 15-20 degrees less than max, and if in any other location, it wouldn't give a good indicator of the temp.

I agree, I really doubt you did any perminent damage. When I first got my eninge running I did pretty much the same thing because my fan didnt kick on. My temp got up to about 225-230 before I shut it down. I have not seen any symptoms of any sort of damage.

A buddy of mine who races oval dirt track see's those temps pretty often and his motor is still running strong.

I wouldn't loose sleep over it!

Guy

Bigger question is why the belt got tossed. Check the alignment of the pulleys and then I'd also go ahead and replace the t-stat just for peace of mind. Since the belt was tossed, I'd inspect (Actually, no. I'd personally replace it) it for tears or damage.

Mike