HybridZ

Matt's Motor Build thread....

240hoke

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway' date=' dan4011 I wil have my car at the triangle show, we prolly wont have matt's ready by then though. i can wait to go either should be good fun. Its real close to me since i go to school in raleigh.[/quote']

what exactly do you go to school for? i haven't really decided what i wanna do for a living yet...maybe UTI or this aircraft mechanics school here in louisville.

Mechanical Engineering from NC State University. Prolly a minor in Graphic communication. I dunno if you jsut wanted to get into workin with cars or a race team a motorsports engineering program or tech school might be a great place to look. UNC Charlotte has a great program for Motorsports engineering....I've thought heavily about switching....but I want a degree that can be used for a broader range of things.

Mechanical Engineering from NC State University. Prolly a minor in Graphic communication. I dunno if you jsut wanted to get into workin with cars or a race team a motorsports engineering program or tech school might be a great place to look. UNC Charlotte has a great program for Motorsports engineering....I've thought heavily about switching....but I want a degree that can be used for a broader range of things.

my grandfather pulls for the broad education as well, but i'm so one track minded it's really not good. cars are all i can think about during school so i kinda have a problem making good grades.

UNC Charlotte is where the partys at! But 240Hoke is right, the motorsports program here is very popular and heavily funded by the local Nascar teams.

yea i heard even the high schools in charlotte were pretty well off with the support of the nascar teams out there.

yea ill be out there, unless something crazy happens ill be driving my z there, deff looking farward to it tho.

i just had to say that... if i can get a set of pistons and rings in it by then, ill still be driving it there tho.

my high schools auto tech program is pretty good, the school was new my freshman year, has brand new shop, all new tools, on car brake lathe, alignment machine, lift, hydraulic press, pretty much every hand and air tool you could think of. no welder tho... i had to bring my own in if wanted to weld something. and the schools ayes certified, so we have everything we need. basicly its 2 hours everyday to work on my z.

and yea. im one of those young hybrid z ers. big senior in high school haha.

guess its better than being a poor college student, still got dads support..sometimes. not since he got him that 442..

you guys had shop class? man i went to the WRONG highschool. the closest thing i could get to working with my hands was art lol...they required 4 years of religion, and i never had to take PE....talk about priorities...

funny thing is, my middle school had a shop class, but my highschool didn't have shop of any kind. We have 3 big highschools, and none of them have shop. I wasted alot of time skipping class and taking useless courses because i couldn't stand classes like social studies. If we would have had welding or auto mechanics i wouldn't have missed a day of highschool.... but i'm glad we have good tech and community schools here with all kinds of mechanic and engineering classes.

I actually just started an automotive program at my high school(im only a junior) and we actually have a large selection tools, we have a bunch of specalty tools, any air tool imaginable, buch of nice lifts... But Im not sure Ill be bringing my car in any time soon, atleast not with the tools(refering to the students) in my class. Today they tried jacking a car up off the back bumper. And if thats not bad enough they put a huge hole through the oil pan with the jack!!! all this on a science teacher's newer volvo!!!

I actually just started an automotive program at my high school(im only a junior) and we actually have a large selection tools, we have a bunch of specalty tools, any air tool imaginable, buch of nice lifts... But Im not sure Ill be bringing my car in any time soon, atleast not with the tools(refering to the students) in my class. Today they tried jacking a car up off the back bumper. And if thats not bad enough they put a huge hole through the oil pan with the jack!!! all this on a science teacher's newer volvo!!!

haha, sounds like the kids in my auto 1 class 3 years ago. i was the only one who even knew how to remove an oil filter, or change brake pads. some kid tried to take the plastic lug caps off with an air gun, and another torqued the lugs down with the air gun and had to replace a lug. then the kid that got the alignment lift lowered on his foot... haha he was allright tho.

most everyone in my auto 3 is decent now. the ones that arent just pull there car in and listen to music. haha

we got a 2004 saturn ion donated to us the other week, 600 miles.

haha, sounds like the kids in my auto 1 class 3 years ago. i was the only one who even knew how to remove an oil filter, or change brake pads. some kid tried to take the plastic lug caps off with an air gun, and another torqued the lugs down with the air gun and had to replace a lug. then the kid that got the alignment lift lowered on his foot... haha he was allright tho.

most everyone in my auto 3 is decent now. the ones that arent just pull there car in and listen to music. haha

we got a 2004 saturn ion donated to us the other week, 600 miles.

Haha.. I know what its like, Im not very knowledgable about cars but these kids just have no common sense! Two weeks into the program and I have about hundred stories to tell. And I apologize about getting off topic.

It needs to be at a place where the exhaust gas can easily change flow through the gate. The best way is to have it symetric with the turbo.

If you look at the manifold putting it towards the front would be a definite no no it would make the exhaust gasses have to flow "backwards" to get out of hte w/g and then change directions again to go back otthe turbo. This is the main point corky stresses in his book for a bad design. I think where we put it here will work out just fine but if you check out my thread i posted a little farther up or check out timz's setup you will see what I think is the OPTIMAL place for hte w/g on the stock manifold

i'm so one track minded it's really not good. cars are all i can think about during school so i kinda have a problem making good grades.

Thats the way I was. Get good grades, get a ROTC scholarship, or just graduate college and join the Navy or Air Force and go to pilot training. Even though the airline jobs aren't what they were, they are still great and will let you support your auto habit. Plus flying a military plane is more fun anyway.

Thats what I did.

• 1 month later...

Okay so its been forever since I posted anything about matt's car. mostly because we havent bene working on it till recently. Been busy with school.

Made a good bit of progress though this weekend, thought i would post up some pictures. Most of the SDS is installed turbo and downpipe are done. Should be running by Thanksgiving....

Heres the downpipe, it was my first project with the TIG. Its made useing a 2.5-3" transition from ATP turbo, along with 3" aluminized mandrals. Painted with eastwood hightemp exhaust paint...

family_010.sized.jpg

family_011.sized.jpg

Here is some wiring inside. Its still not done but its getting there, you can see the painless fuse box, a stand alone keyswitched circuit for EMS and fuel puel etc. Still needs some cleaning up but its getting there.

family_012.sized.jpg

Excuss the dirtyness its been sitting in my shop collecting dust. jsut thought i would share.