HybridZ

My Ls1 Update

Well here we are in the middle of Sept, 6 months after buying the 2002 Camaro with the LS1/T56 combo as a donor for the swap and now I can say the Camaro has PAID FOR ITSELF. This means motor/t56/ecu/fans are now FREE!!!!! Yes I do have some parts left ova and I did some wheelin n dealin through out the past 6 months, so guys it can be done if you have the time.

Back to the Z, after not working on it for 3 months it is time to get back to work. This past weekend I used my mothers Hemi powerd Jeep to tow it to Rochester, NY 1tuffz house so we can get started on putting my car back together. First plan is to buy the JCI kit and the motor and tranny in before the weather turns for the worst here upstate NY. I want to get that part done so I can work around the little things. I still need to run brake lines and fuel lines. After I plan on getting the suspension done with plans of the Wilwood brakes in the rear, some adj front control arms and new poly bushings all around the car. Still have the Q45 swap to finish also and HID retro fit to do with a long list of little things to do. The goal for me is to have the car on the road by my birthday April 11......so I am keeping my fingers crossed. When summer comes I think plan on painting the car.

Thanks to HBZ and 1tuffz so far for keeping me going with the project. Watching so many people finish their LSX swaps in the past few months makes me just want to finish mine even more. Here are some pics..... the pic of the ZX is flames_187 '83 zxt for is turbo swap I towed back to school from 1tuffz's house.

z28 parts 161_thumb.jpg

z28 parts 142_thumb.jpg

z28 parts 163_thumb.jpg

z28 parts 143_thumb.jpg

Hey,

I am right around the corner too. I am hoping to get my friend's LS1 Z on the street next week. I just got it running this past weekend. We gotto have some kinda celebration here on HBZ for all the LSx swap. I am already looking for another LS1/2 for my other friend's cobra now. I am going to shop around for my LS7 to replace my LS1. GL.

V.

Silicone,

I don't have any experience assemblying these motors so I am not going to mess with it. I can add a few more grand to the 6200 and get a full LS7 drivetrain from a corvette junkyard near where I live. Fparts from Ebay is 1/2 hour from me and they got plenty of low milage HP motors there. I already bought a couple of motors from them so the next deal I will get more discount from them. Thanks for the info though.

Vinh

Clive, Sorry for hi jacking your post.

Clive,

3 weeks to be exact. But it I think I put in around 60 hours into it. Not including running around getting parts lol. I am waiting for the driveshaft, clutch master cylinder and side pipes to complete this car. It will probably takes another 20 hours to finish up the exhaust system and gauges. Not bad of a swap at all.

Clive' date='

3 weeks to be exact. But it I think I put in around 60 hours into it. Not including running around getting parts lol. I am waiting for the driveshaft, clutch master cylinder and side pipes to complete this car. It will probably takes another 20 hours to finish up the exhaust system and gauges. Not bad of a swap at all.[/quote']

HA @ not bad.....I have been working on mine for almost 10 months. At the same time I would say it isn't to bad since I am still in school and took the entire car apart. Money is the hold back to any project which I am working on now. April 11th is the target date.....we will see. You have any pics of your friends car?

Clive

Clive,

Here is a picture taken awhile back when it still got the L6 in it. Those side pipes got to go BTW. I ordered the sidepipes from Summit last week. They should be here very soon.

Yes money is an issue for everyone doing this swap. You can find out how much we spent for this motor swap on page 9. Not cheap. I told my friend to expect to put in 20K to get this car completely done. I can see a big smile on his face after a test drive of this car. Only then he would be glad he spent the money to do this swap.

2079260_7_full.jpg

Yep, I have been into my LS1 swap since Feb this year. Motor and tranny are both done and Im about half way through the back half. I want to get this thing able to at least crank by the end of the year sitting on all of its tires again. I have to have it done by my b-day next year (Feb 23rd) or my step dad will buy the car back from me for $500 :eek2: .

Kind of a bet we made, 1 year to finish the car or he buys it back as it sits for $500.

Sounds like all you guys are making great progress. I've only been working on this car for 25 years. lol. I got my engine/trans package this weekend but stuff is missing, like the C1 harness!!! Spalding said they don't have any of the stuff, don't know where it went, and told me to get prices on the new parts I need. Am working on that now. The only other really important thing is the MAF. The JTR headers came last week, JCI shipped mounts and some of the other stuff Friday. I'm trying to sell the L28/5sp before I pull it. The genius that backed in to the car while parked last week did come up with the bucks for a new hood and the rest of the repairs- I'll wait to do that till the engine is out and can paint the engine bay at the same time. My goal is to have it done by the first warm day of spring. The only real scary part for me is the wiring. Mas280 has been a real help so far. I know he and others have used Jesse for their ECM reprogramming but I don't know him or how to get ahold of him. Can you help?

Mike

We are trying to get my friend's Cobra done during the winter months. I would love to come to the SEZ to check it out. My friend's just open up a business this week so I doubt he will go any where but I definitely talk him into going to the SEZ.

Mike,

If you need help with the wiring let me know. If not just send me your harness and I can redo it for you. I also have Jesse's info also. GL.

Vinh

I got the radiator with all the hoses connected. Here is another longer video of the car running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhKdh7reHQ

I hope to finish up the exhaust system this weekend. I am thinking of putting 2 flex pipes before the sidepipes. What do you guys think? Either that or I have to put some hard rubber mounts on the side pipes to allow them to flex when the motor twisting.

Vinh

• 2 months later...

I am pretty excited because this week is the first I bought any parts for the car in months. Headers from Mas280, front LCA from AZCARBUM, and waiting on another member for the JCI kit. I hope to have the motor and trans mounted within a month. I have not touched the car in months due to school and money. So after 6 months I can finally see the flashlight at the end of the tunnel! Whats left to do....EVERYTHING! LoL but heres a plan:

1. Buy a bunch of parts from AZcar and MM to finish Q45 swap and rear brakes.

2. Custom Radiator

3. Fuel and Brake lines

4. Harness for Lsx for my car.

5. And lots of little things!

Stay tuned! Thank you HBZ so far.

Clive,

Congrat on the sell of the Camaro. If you buy the harness don't forget to ship it directly to me to save you some changes. Also I suggest you concentrate on getting the motor in and running. After that you can work on the rear end, suspension etc. Do you plan on doing a full restoration (rotisserie) of the frame?

Clive,

Congrat on the sell of the Camaro. If you buy the harness don't forget to ship it directly to me to save you some changes. Also I suggest you concentrate on getting the motor in and running. After that you can work on the rear end, suspension etc. Do you plan on doing a full restoration (rotisserie) of the frame?

No I do not plan on a complete resto, though it would be nice. Maybe if I can find someone to do the work for a good price then maybe. About getting the motor running first does make sense, and I will check my list of things to buy to get it running. Can't wipe this smile off my face thinking of gett'n this car running by my bday!