HybridZ

Is it worth it? thoughts

This 76 280Z is being sold on this forum in the 280Z classified area, It has a blown engine but looks good outside and in, I am awaiting pictures of the underside from the owner before I make a decision.

My plans were to put an LT1/T56 into my 78 280Z which has a mint interior, suspension upgrades, a great running L28 with cam and headers, but it needs a lot of body work, a paint job, and some framerail work.

The Idea here is I can save money on not having to do any bodywork or frame welding and swap over whatever I want from my 78 to the 76 and put in the LT1/T56 package. Then either sell my 78 as is or part it out?

Do you think I will save money going this route? I have to drive 12 hours and rent a trailer to pick it up.

Besides the pictures in the classified area under 280Z the owner posted this site of more pictures http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g262/tparrotte/

Wife doesn't know I am planning on bringing home another Z yet! (:wink:)

Anybody near Painted Post NY willing to take a look at it for me?

Greg

I am praying/hoping the frame is good, It would save me from having to do alot of bodywork and framework om my own 78.

The owner is not near the car so is having somebody else go and take the undercarriage pics, I will post them once he sends them to me.

There are a couple of undercarriage pics on the site but tough to see what is what. One pics looks to be a frame rail and the TC cup? but it doesn't look stock, I couldn't tell. One other pic is totally blurry and the third seems to be a rear wheel well shot showing a possible newer fuel pump??

Thanks for everybody opinions, I am getting excited about this.. Monday is my 53rd birthday, Nothing like another Z car for you Birthday:)

Now to line up the LT1/T56......:burnout:

Just got more pictures of the undercarriage, It looks good from what I can see, although the frame rails do not look stock, replacements maybe?

Anybody with a better eye than me see any deal breaker problems?

My offer still stands if there is anybody willing to go look for some extra money for your time and gas.

Thanks,

Greg

CIMG0006-1.jpg

Looks in this one like they've already been repaired, is that a ground down weld line or some kind of epoxy or something right where the rail meets the floor? Also in the top right it looks like a weld bead in the floor pan. Whoever your friend is was brave to get under that car on jack stands in the grass!

(by the way, your link took me to the MR2 page, also a nice car!)

Yeah it does look like expoxy on the seam... It is too smooth for a weld??

Maybe the weld is underneath? Maybe it wasn't seam welded the whole length so they filled in the open seams?

Man I wish I could get somebody to look for me:(

It has to be welded nobody would go through the trouble of glueing frame rails would they?

I would really be bummed to drive 12+ hours, $150+ in gas to find a hack rail job.

Maybe I should of asked for more pictures of the inside floor boards under the carpet?

I don't need 2 Z cars needing frame rails:(

Thanks,

Greg

ANY other comments??

Well unless somebody or something stops me I am probably going to go and drive the 12 + hours and check it out and hopefully return with the car in tow next weekend.

Thanks all.

Get the pics of the floors under the carpet.......prob will save you lots of time.

Looks nice ... except for the sunroof ... and supermutt. Only thing I would be scared of is what's under all the undercoating as it looks thick. Under the carpet wont necessarily show anything either since all you see is the tar mat. I would definitely poke around with a screwdriver to make sure there are no hidden treasures.

Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Well I drove down there and picked up a U-Haul and bought it.

The frame rails are solid a very good job of welding on them, the front rails in the engine bay have absolutely no rust, The tension rod cups are mint, the fenders have no rust, the rockers and doglegs have no rust, the rear deck lid has no rust, the only place I could find any rust was in the passeger wheel well about halfway up that is easily repairable and non structural. Yes there is a small ding/chip above the gas cap and a paint chip on one of the passenger inspection cover.

The sunroof does not leak but does not stay open either the plastic piece is broken, I'll have to try and trace down a replacement.

The center console is cracked, no big deal, The dash is a cap, oh well.

New carpet kit, new Brake master cylinder, new master and clutch cylinder, new fuel pump, new moustashe bar rubber, new differential mount, and a good amount of new weatherseal rubber everywhere.

I haven't had time to see how blown the engine is yet, but the engine and tranny will be for sale cheap soon. Now to shop for the LT1/T56!

Debating what to do with my 78, put back together and sell it or part it out?

Thanks,

Greg

Wow - that's a seriously good find. I lived in Horseheads (about 10 miles east of Painted Post) for 3 years and for an S30 to be in that good of shape in that area is almost miraculous. The Chemung River valley isn't known for being auto friendly.

Yeah, I couldn't pass this one up, 13 hours driving time, sleeping in the Silverado, 480 miles, and the U-Haul rental but I really wasn't looking forward to all the body work and frame rail work on my old 78 280Z because I would of had to pay to have somebody do all that work on it and I only have 9K to play with to complete the entire swap, so when I saw this add posted in the classified section I had to check it out.

I will transfer over all my suspension stuff and a few cosmetic pieces to the new 76 280Z while waiting and searching for the right LT1/T56 combo to come along this winter.

I will then decide if I should keep my old 78 or sell it the way it is or part it out. My 78 has a great motor with a mild cam and headers, a mint interior with only 1 very small crack on the dash at the clock gauge area, The body is mostly primer with a lot of amature hack body work (Me) and not completed.

The drivers side frame rail is solid the passenger side is missing the center section in two 8"-10" areas, the floors are solid. to be done right I would replace both front fenders, both frame rails, and replace some metal at the front rockers, the dog legs are ok the rear hatch area is passable.

I would hate to part the car out as the shell is not really that bad, But it might get me more money in parts.

Decisions, decisions....

I will keep it long enough until I start to run out of money I guess.

Greg

EvilC, thanks for keeping an eye out for me, If I can swing an LS1 with my budget I would definately do it. I have the JTR stuff already but can eBay it if the right deal comes along and get John's kit instead.

That 240Zguy, I had 9K but spent 2500 on the 76 280Z and U haul rental so far, so I am now down to 6500 to do everything, I need to do struts/lowering springs or coil-overs, toyota front brake upgrade as a minimum would like to do rear discs If I have any money left over. (I need to be able to stop this beast:burnout: ) Looking to do old school side pipe exhaust maybe as well. I have my 15" Enkei wheels on my old z already that I will swap over.

Thanks all,

Greg