HybridZ

Project goals are changing...

I've decided on a new direction for my 77 280z, and I owe it all to/blame it all on you guys in the Chevy V-8 board (mostly Grumpy). I was in Orlando visiting an old friend yesterday, and we got to talking about projects. He used to have a 350 powered S-10, but now just has the 350 left over in a closet. I think you can see where this is headed...Anyway, he's going to school at UTI (I still snicker every time I hear that, don't people think about that when they are naming institutions/children/ whatever anymore? When someone tells me about their "Bachelor of Science" or "BS" degree I do the same thing...) and is going to have to rebuild it as part of his curriculum, but he told me that he isn't planning to use it beyond that. And THAT'S what really got the gears turning...

So I told you that story, to tell you this one: I ordered my JTR manual last night, just to see what I'm going to be getting myself into here. My tentative plan involves using Megasquirt (already have) to run what will basically be a freshly rebuilt to stock specifications 4-bolt 350, with about 6psi of boost from the garrett t-04 through a Puslar GTi-R intercooler (that I already have-my original plan was to use that or this:https://www.rhdjapan.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=527 on my n42/p79 L28). I'd like to use a manual transmission, and I already have a summit 16 gallon fuel cell with the foam installed on the car. I realize there is no real question here, just kind of announcing a new project really, and warning you guys I might come around looking for advice, like what clutch/flywheel/transmission I'm going to need and that sort of thing. I don't know how much of that type of information is in the JTR manual, so I figured I'd wait until I had read through that a few times before I posted some annoying questions. Anyway, thanks for your time!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good plan! Nothing wrong with a turbo SBC, thats the same plan that I was originally going for and even started building the motor till I ran across this good deal on a LS1. So now Im shooting for a turbo LS1!

Good luck and dont fall for the "while Im here I might as well........" syndrome like I did!

Sounds great and it's all grumpys fault!! I love it.

The T56 is the best manual trans IMO since it has OD for cruising. Should get killer mileage with the turbo and have pleanty of power.

When he's doing the stock rebuild opt for a mild hydraulic turbo cam, lifters and matching springs, you won't be sorry! :wink:

"and it's all grumpys fault!! I love it"

NO FAIR GUYS (talking to my wife!) thats HER FAVORITE BITCHING THEME

any time something goes wrong its ALWAYS MY FAULT, I bought her a new 50" plazma TV, they discontinued her favorite game show..]"and it's all grumpys fault!! my grandson gets a cold/sniffles, so he can,t go to disney world...]"and it's all grumpys fault!! .my youngest kid (25)gets job but he needs to go to school upstate... "and it's all grumpys fault!!

ETC,]"and it's all grumpys fault!! " is a familiar THEME

I suspect it's going to become MY wife's favorite bitching theme before too much longer...

*edit* I guess the rest of the blame falls on BRAAP and RonTyler:http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114696&page=3

I want to post some hazy rebuttel of my own, but sadly my z just isn't up to the task right now...

Awe... get yer reBUTTel in gear!!! We need to hear it.

I suspect it's going to become MY wife's favorite bitching theme before too much longer...

*edit* I guess the rest of the blame falls on BRAAP and RonTyler:http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114696&page=3

I want to post some hazy rebuttel of my own, but sadly my z just isn't up to the task right now...

I'm not particularly familiar with 350's yet, but I was under the impression they had around 8.5-1 compression with stock internals-a fairly boost friendly CR on other motors I've been around. I'm only looking at an intercooled 6-7 psi, how low would you expect I would need to be?

Yeah, I just got the JTR book as well. I'm gonna blame it on Hybrid Z as a whole. Broke the news to the wife that I gotta have a 95 Z28 donor car. She immeadetly wanted to know where I was gonna park it! Damn, bought my Z at the same time I started my garage project and now both projects are suffering. Been crawling over Z parts to wire my garage.

chris

CRYBABY:cry2: :mrgreen:

Yeah, I just got the JTR book as well. I'm gonna blame it on Hybrid Z as a whole. Broke the news to the wife that I gotta have a 95 Z28 donor car. She immeadetly wanted to know where I was gonna park it! Damn, bought my Z at the same time I started my garage project and now both projects are suffering. Been crawling over Z parts to wire my garage.

chris

your not alone in having two projects conflict, slightly on the route to a nice car.....

I started out to install a 572-600cubic inch big block in my vette,I had no room in my two car garage with all the tools and I was not about to let my dream car sit outside as I worked on it....result was my dream garage project, thats taken over two years and well over 100k and thats still in play,theres always more expence and problems, inspections,ETC. while my true orriginal goal sits, as I aquire parts, I could have easily built the car alone and saved 100K but I would not have a place to build or work on it...SOOOO....I continue....eventually ILL have both the shop and the car Ive worked to own for many years, theres no sence in building something you aren,t proud to own,or you really wish you built differantly, but tried to save a few bucks on, it will never be exactly what you dreamed about so keep that in mind while you sellect parts and make decisions

and theres always that stuff that slows the process, like the wife wanting to have vactions, paid bills ETC.

I had no room in my two car garage with all the tools and I was not about to let my dream car sit outside as I worked on it....result was my dream garage project.

I know the feeling. I'm pretty much in the same situation, small attached 2 car garage and too many tools. So I decided to build a 24x24 garage in the back yard. Nothing even close to your awesome shop but plenty big enough for what I want to do. We're about 90% done and we should finish with the building this week. Then insulation, electrical and heat/AC and I'll be ready to start the LT1 swap on my Z.

approach-door2.jpg