HybridZ

rhino lined my engine bay

bryan01

dropped the car off at a shop, they did the prep work, and delivered the car back to my garage for 400$ even. i think it looks amazing. here's a before/after shot (after welding/rust repair) and a link to all the other pics of the new engine coat. they taped up all the heads of the bolts which i left in and i can pull them right now with a small amt of effort, and the holes int he firewall just pop out.

Picture%20003s.JPG

Picture%20001s.JPG

http://plaza.ufl.edu/bryan01/day13/

^ those are all the other pics i took of the new engine bay ...

now i just have to get my headgasket in and i can start on the motor.

The frame rail in the before picture looks like it is rusted through. Did you do any work there?

Bedliner looks good.

there was rust everywhere in that corner, so i cut it out and bought a right front clip from a clean 280z. i cut out around the battery tray and kept the top and outer part of the frame rail from the donor part. i cut out everything except the frame rail on mine, and then cut into the frame rail on the outer side, cleand it out, and boxed it in against the new firewall. if you're wondering, the frame rail wasnt attached to much. it was attached on the inside wall, and a little bit on the top, only so i'd have something to weld to.

below the frame rail, i guess you'd call it the subframe connector, which isnt connected to the under-the-floor rails anymore (i replaced the floors too, and deemed the rails that came w/ the floors not strong enough to waste time connecting) had a small amt of rust on the end on the inside (the side i didnt box in with new metal). i didnt expect them to spray that low, but they did. i'll have to cut about 2" above the end to get rid of that section. it's not connected so it doesnt really matter.

once i put my roll cage in (more towards the end of the year) i will decide if i want new floor rails etc etc. and also at that point they're going to take my car back in and line the under side, the wheel wells, and the inside of the floor pans/rear ... it'll look nice

and it's definately not photoshopped ... check out the other pics i have linked too. it's a really freakin thick coat of bedliner.

i recommend ANYONE who's got some extra $ in their build budget to get this done. it's a great coating and definately wont rust (from the coating side at least) ...

Picture%20007s.JPG

for those of you who didnt see, here's a pic from the inside, and then from the inside of the wheel well.

this was a 400$ experiment. i didnt want them doing the wheel wells and the underside etc and spending that much more $ if i didnt like it there. you can see in the 2nd pic where i cut into the frame rail and cleaned it out. it was supprisingly clean inside. i welded it from the inside to the new firewall, and then welded it shut. i know the welds arent the cleanest, but it works, and after the coating, i'm more than happy with the result.

Picture%20001s.JPG

Picture%20004s.JPG

Is that an orange "light saber" on the center-left of the pic. Kewl!! Is that what you use to cut the sheet metal?! DUDE... that's just way too kewl:icon45:

Hey ADMINS... there aren't enough dorky smileys... I had to improvise:mrgreen:

Picture%20001s.JPG

you COULD use it to hide rust, but why? :cry: but you could also use paint the same way, just wouldnt look as good for as long. i (and i'd hope everyone else here) wouldnt screw over another datsun owner like that:cuss: (if the car is ever sold) and reguardless, i definately know i'm going to need the structure there for the amount of power its going to put out. i see that as a waste of time and money. i spent hours and hours cutting out all the rust i could find (via visual inspection and the hammer/chizzel approach) and replacing it with good metal, then sanding down all the surface rust before the coating went on. the areas that havent been coated yet got several coats of paint just so they wouldnt flash rust. the inner fender well from that pic above has been sanded/painted since that pic. also, after my sanding of the surface rust that was left in a few areas, the prep work for the liner includes sand blasting and then sanding with a brush inorder for the liner to stick. they sanded down everything and told me before they put it on that if the metal was in bad condition they wouldnt spray it b/c that would void the warrantee and just be bad business practice and the liner wouldnt stick to it (i personally think the liner would stick to anything, but whatever floats their boat, i'm not going to complain with them doing more prep) ...

but as for your question, it's guarnteed for "the life of my truck" :mrgreen:

I did the same thing to my enigne bay after painting my enigne bay and realizing that if you ever need to work on your engine you will scratch and chip the paint very easily. I used "Herculiner" though and did it my self with a roller. I also coated the wheel wells and the underside of the car in it. I personally think it looks great inside the wheel wells and under the car. I would have rather had the paint under the hood but I am more of a "function over bling" kind of guy so the bedliner works for me!

As for scraping your knuckles, yeah it can do some damage but its not that bad. I think it might be possible to sand this stuff down to make it smoother. So that might be an option. This stuff is tough as nails thats all I know!

I had everything out of my engine bay when I did this and patched all the tiny holes that are in the fenders and firewall that were used for brackets and lines with the stock motor. It was time consuming but worth the extra effort.

bedliner_enginebay.jpg

Guy