HybridZ

am I making them crazy or them,me?

now IM an old cranky guy fairly set in my ways, but IM always ready to learn and change, if i see something better,smarter quicker or cheaper, yet at times it makes me $%^&*(* crazy to work with people that don,t think things thru...

example

one of the guys I know bought a big block chevy, bare cast iron block and was actually trying too hold it up in place manually while his 14 year old kid inserted the 4 bolts in the engine stand and align them and thread them on the engine stand, into the block. after failing after several attempts he calls me asking for assistance as Im only a few blocks distant, while I might have done something similar when I was 18 years old I LEARNED a few things since then.

I arrive about 30 minutes later with my disassembled engine crane and a box of accessories, the first thing I do is start laughting at his expression, then I open my tool kit and get out the 3/8/16 tap and die set, and check/thread the holes in the block because I don,t want to be cross threading things, I look at his engine stand bolts and throw them in the trash, he protested, I gave him 4 grade #8 4" bolts (16) 3/8 fender washers and a 18" section of 3/8" fuel line from the kit, he ask me what the washers and fuel ine was for, I said first you were useing standard grade 3 crappy bolts and they were bent the threads were worn and you just don,t do things like that if your butts going to be depending on them not breaking, you slip 4 fender washers on each bolt, slide it into the engine stand head and measure the threads sticking past the stands head, cut a section of fuel line that length,(generally about 3") slip it over the bolt, then insert it into the tool head, the fuel line tends to be a tight fit but it keeps the bolts from falling out unexpectedly and it keeps them strait and centered,

Then assembled the engine crane and reached into the bag for my engine leveler

144847_lg.gif

OH you won,t need that he says I have a 2 ft chain we can use,I roll my eyes and hook up the engine leveler(all 4 bolts) on all four corners of the block , and proceed to lift, align and install the bolts with little effort. after Im done, I disassemble and pack the tools in the truck bed, (he thanks me then tells me (BOY THATS SURE ALOT OF EXTRA EFFORT, my boy could have threaded the old bolts while we held the block up" :smirk:

I wished him well. we had a few beers and discussed his project, then I left,I just grinned the next day when he called asking about where to buy an engine leveler and crane......seems his lower back started hurting unexpectedly for no reason at all the next day , sure it may cost some money,too do the job safely,and buying /keeping spare #8 new bolts is something you learn but whats your back and feet worth to you,:rofl:

I'm only 17 but I try to do things the best/easiest way the first time. That beeing said, I do some stupid things too, like when I was cutting off my exhaust. Instead of getting some one to help hold up the pipes I wedged my leg under the muffler and continued cutting. Nothing happened but it would have been easy for something to slip.

just some info guys, MOST engine stands use a removable slip fit head thats designed to be bolted to the block then the engine with the head attached is greased then slid into place and locked in place with a large pin and a handle, unfortunately , my friends engine stand has a non-removeable gear drive rotator head

just some info guys, MOST engine stands use a removable slip fit head thats designed to be bolted to the block then the engine with the head attached is greased then slid into place and locked in place with a large pin and a handle, unfortunately , my friends engine stand has a non-removeable gear drive rotator head

funny you say that, I just put my engine on the stand yesterday! The stand directions said it was easier to bolt the head onto the engine while on the hoist and then put the head on the assembled stand. It really was a lot easier!