HybridZ

turbo and carb question

gjc5500

i read that to run a blow thru on a carb requires you to equalize the fuel bowl and the intake pressure. i have duel weber dgv carbs on a 73 240z. i noticed today that from the top of the carb i can see straight to the fuel bowl. if i were to run a box ontop of the 2 carbs(like the aircleaner box, but covers both carb tops), would it pressureize the fuel bowls enuff to keep the air from running back?

come on, someone has to know

I've not used those carbs, but it sounds like that would work.

You will also have to regulate the fuel pressure relative to the pressure at the inlet to the carb. So, if you normally run 4psi to the carb, you'll have to get a regulator that regulates to 4psi over the pleum pressure. (4psi fuel pressure at 0 boost, 14psi fuel pressure at 10psi boost, etc)

so... if i run 8 psi, i would want like 12psi of fuel? wont that be bad at idle??

Sorry - I didn't explain this well enough.

You will have to use a pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator, similar to those used with EFI, except the base pressure will be, say 4psi, instead of 38psi.

Also, instead of referencing to manifold pressure like EFI does, you will want to reference to the pressure at the carb inlet. This way your fuel pressure will be 4psi until you start running boost, and then it will be 4psi plus whatever the carb inlet pressure is when you start running boost.

You have to keep the fuel pressure 4psi (or whatever those carbs normally use for fuel pressure) higher than the pressure at the carb inlet at all times. If you let the pressure at the carb inlet (and thus the float bowls) go higher than the fuel pressure you will no longer be able to pump fuel in there.

Mallory #4309 Bypass Fuel Regulator is what you need. Hook it into your intake box on the carbs. I am working on a simular set up with side drafts. I do not think the stock fuel pump will put out the required pressure so will use a electric fuel pump.

I believe MSD makes a regulator that will do that also. I'm pretty sure they just modify the bosch regulators with a preload adjustment, but they are really affordable. I think that if you are able to close off the entire carb assembly in a box, it would work fine. I've seen it done on a v-8 with a multi carb setup that had 8 air horns, and the top of the box was glass or plexi, I don't know which, but it was pretty cool looking.

hmmm. good article. imma do that. cuz there is a reg from msd that is a control box for lke 250. 70 is alot cheaper. hope it works. thx

What is the base fuel pressure for those regulators? It looks like those are meant for higher pressure, like those used with EFI. I don't think you'll be able to make one of those do a base pressure of 4psi.

$70 is only cheaper if it doesn't blow anything up.

the basic idea is the same. idk y that woulnt work w/ ne good fuel reg. i have a few laying around for carbs. i think imma give it a shot

I think you'll need to find a bypass-style regulator to mod for this. I don't think a non-bypass regulator could respond fast enough.

no, creating a restriction is how they increase pressure. The basically pinch the line to bring the pressure up. This reduces the flow volume, but increases the fuel pressure. Think of putting your thumb over the end of a hose to make it shoot out further. That's due to the pressure increase. How you would reduce pressure with a device like that without a bleed off escapes me.