HybridZ

Anybody use the Felpro one piece pan gasket?

Like this:

pic_096s.jpg

I was pretty hyped up to use it. It has a lot of advantages, such as eliminating the joints at the corners of the pan (less leaks?), not using any sealant (easier cleanup, reusable?), it's got steel inserts around the bolts(won't squish out?). About the only dis is cost.

But, the goofy comp timing cover requires the thick front seal, and this one piece is the thin version. I may ditch the timing cover and use another one if the gasket works good.

Any reviews?

John

Good call going with the one-peice, they're far superior to the old cork/rubber style. I was also wondering if they are reusable. I disasembled an engine that I had used one in and it looked good, never tried to use it again though.

I'm using one, but it still leaks pretty bad. I'm thinking, though, that it may be because I don't have any torque spreaders on the pan bolts (can't find them anywhere) so there's probably a gap between the bolts. I still like it a lot better than the cork gasket, though. I believe mine came from an '82 Pontiac Firebird, I can't remember, but it has the dipstick provision on both sides, which is what you'll need if your dipstick tube is on the driver's side.

The bolts were probably over-torqued at some time and bent the pan. You can tell by cleaning it then setting it carefully on a glass table and looking through the glass... but don't let your wife see you:eek: You can try hammering it straight using the glass table as a guide but I don't see the point if it's a stock pan. Just go buy a good cheap used one. Oh... and get the torque spreaders:lol:

I'm using one, but it still leaks pretty bad. I'm thinking, though, that it may be because I don't have any torque spreaders on the pan bolts (can't find them anywhere) so there's probably a gap between the bolts. I still like it a lot better than the cork gasket, though. I believe mine came from an '82 Pontiac Firebird, I can't remember, but it has the dipstick provision on both sides, which is what you'll need if your dipstick tube is on the driver's side.

I was also wondering if they are reusable. I disasembled an engine that I had used one in and it looked good, never tried to use it again though.

Yes, they are reusable. I bought one for the next time I have to drop the pan--the new gasket may as well be reusable one. I never did think about the size of the thickness of the front seal though. Hmmm.

Davy

The bolts were probably over-torqued at some time and bent the pan. You can tell by cleaning it then setting it carefully on a glass table and looking through the glass... but don't let your wife see you:eek: You can try hammering it straight using the glass table as a guide but I don't see the point if it's a stock pan. Just go buy a good cheap used one. Oh... and get the torque spreaders:lol:

Actually, last year I overtorqued the pan, but was able to use a hammer and chisel in the areas that the oil was leaking from, and sealed it up. Then I had to replace the clutch earlier this year, and for some reason when I put the pan back up it was leaking pretty bad. I made sure not to overtorque those oil pan bolts, but I did reuse the gasket, so I'm thinking that may be the problem. I figured since it's rubber with the metal inserts, it should be fine. It's probably the pan, though. I was going to try to silicone it up, but I need to stop being a cheap ass and buy a new pan, as this one has seen its days. If I can't find any torque spreaders at the junkyard, I'll make some -- seems pretty simple. BTW, where in South Texas do you live?

If I was buying a new pan, I'd just buy the spreaders too. They can't be very expensive. Besides, I'm too lazy to make them.

I'm in Converse in the northern San Antonio area. In what part of Austin are you? BTW, my brother lives in Lago Vista. It's a pretty area.

Actually, last year I overtorqued the pan, but was able to use a hammer and chisel in the areas that the oil was leaking from, and sealed it up. Then I had to replace the clutch earlier this year, and for some reason when I put the pan back up it was leaking pretty bad. I made sure not to overtorque those oil pan bolts, but I did reuse the gasket, so I'm thinking that may be the problem. I figured since it's rubber with the metal inserts, it should be fine. It's probably the pan, though. I was going to try to silicone it up, but I need to stop being a cheap ass and buy a new pan, as this one has seen its days. If I can't find any torque spreaders at the junkyard, I'll make some -- seems pretty simple. BTW, where in South Texas do you live?

I'm almost in Cedar Park..just barely in North Austin's city limits. My g/f, however, lives in San Antonio - up by University of Texas Health and Science Center, so that's pretty close to you. She said that there's a 280z in the apartment complex down the street from her, but I doubt it's you.

I searched all through Summit without any luck finding the torque spreaders, and when I went to Austin Performance, they told me they couldn't find any, and were no longer made. I figured if I couldn't find them in a j/y, I'd have to make them...although I didn't really spend much time searching the 'net, just Summit.

I'd just buy a new pan...

I'm almost in Cedar Park..just barely in North Austin's city limits. My g/f, however, lives in San Antonio - up by University of Texas Health and Science Center, so that's pretty close to you. She said that there's a 280z in the apartment complex down the street from her, but I doubt it's you.

I searched all through Summit without any luck finding the torque spreaders, and when I went to Austin Performance, they told me they couldn't find any, and were no longer made. I figured if I couldn't find them in a j/y, I'd have to make them...although I didn't really spend much time searching the 'net, just Summit.

OK, the only timing cover with provisions to check the cam endplay is the Comp, or the summit knockoff. Both use the thick front seal, so changing timing covers is out.

Denny411 is correct, Felpro makes a one piece with the thick front seal, several actually, it took a while for me to find them.

For reference, the one piece for thin front cover, two piece rear main, drivers dipstick is FPP-1885. For thick front seal, two piece rear main, pass side dipstick is FPP-1880. Unknown front, two piece rear main, driver dip is FPP-1881.

There is another thick/two piece rear/driver dip, FEL-OS34510T. Felpro says it's not for racing use. I ordered the 1881 and the 3451, I'll compare them once I have it in hand and post any visual differences.

jt