HybridZ

metal

evans280z

Designed to reduce vibration. It seems it was an afterthought though.

No. There were weights that were dealer installed on the rear diff of the early 240Zs to reduce vibrations, but they had it figured out that by moving/repositioning the differential, the half shaft angles would be correct and this would eliminate the vibrations. The later 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z cars never had such an issue.

Please post a picture of what you are talking about.

Davy

No. There were weights that were dealer installed on the rear diff of the early 240Zs to reduce vibrations, but they had it figured out that by moving/repositioning the differential, the half shaft angles would be correct and this would eliminate the vibrations. The later 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z cars never had such an issue.

Please post a picture of what you are talking about.

Davy

No, there was still a mass damper installed on my '78. It was bone stock when I bought it in 1980 (yes I've had my car that long :shock: ). Most likely for curing some NVH issue - probably some resonance caused by gear whine. Mine fell off years ago (circa 1981), and I've never been able to tell the difference. So, to answer the original question, I'd say no you don't need it.