HybridZ

R200 & Quaife - OR - R230 VLSD - for 700HP SBC

Guest Mike

We never have said you do not need anything more. Just that so far the R200 has done extremely well for us. I agree with you about the R200 on the street with out a welded rear end. It will give the clutches or spyder gears hell, and more than likely break the rear end ( look at Garrett ).

John

Agreed - it was mentioned in a post or two from others. Please don't get me wrong - what you've done with that car is very impressive. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I'm concerned about the street manors of a welded diff. I realize you said the only problems you experience are some tire wear and wheel chirp on turns but isn't this hard on the drive train? Does this become tiresome day after day? I wouldn't know since I've never driven with a permanently lock diff.

Tim, how do you like the Kaaz unit in your R230?

So far it's working really well. I did have some issues early on with the clutches being a bit too aggressive, to the point where I had some pretty severe understeer, even on decel. I followed the break-in procedure exactly, and used the recommended Kaaz gear oil, and the breakaway torque was still way too high.

As a last resort before rebuilding the thing with a less agressive clutch setup, I tried some Ford LSD friction modifier, and lo and behold, the thing started working prefectly. Still chirps a bit on low speed parking lot turns, just to let me know it's there, but the understeer problem is a thing of the past now.

Thats good to hear. I had spoke about You using the KAZZ unit while everyone was throwing around different brands of LSD units, and pro's and con's of them.

Would you mind giving a hint of the going cost to purchase one of these R230 units please?

I'm sure they also have the R200 units too. Wonder how close they come to the Power Brute cost?

That's something I've been wanting to comment on - the jnj car is the one that keeps getting cited as the example of why you don't need more than an r200, but it's using a welded diff (still really impressive, no issues there). I'm not convinced that the r200 would be completely bulletproof behind 700hp on the street without the welded spool.

I managed to break my Torsen-equipped r200 with about 450whp. It does appear that the Torsen itself gave out, and I've heard that the Quaife is stronger, but is it 200hp stronger? I dunno. Sure it's guaranteed, but that won't make you feel much better the second or third time you have to be towed home :mrgreen:. Even though you aren't likely to be able to hook up well enough to pull a wheelie on the street, things like potholes, expansion cracks/bumps and wreak havok with your shock loads.

granted ....but you'll feel a hell of a lot better knowing you don't have to pay for a new LSD carrier as well......lol

i think this whole issue comes down to how far you want to go and at what cost ie traction vs CV's vs diff strength vs companion flanges vs 4 small wheel studs

if you've picked a target HP then what is going to give first from that list,if you replace that item with a better one, what is the next weekest link an so on.

if you want to be absolutely certain with the IRS setup then go R230,quaife LSD(ATB-automatic torque biasing),300zx CV's,MMS companion flanges,1/2" 5 stud wheel lugs and "street slicks"....but if off the line hook up is your main goal then i'd concentrate on rear suspension and wheel/tyre combination as i think this is the weekest link in a street driven big HP 240Z...and probably the most neglected

incidentally going to a live axle four link setup will not be of any use for hooking up on the street,no matter how bullet proof it is

remember the only horses that count are the ones that make it to the pavement

cheers

paul

if you want to be absolutely certain with the IRS setup then go R230,quaife LSD(ATB-automatic torque biasing),300zx CV's,MMS companion flanges,1/2" 5 stud wheel lugs and "street slicks"....but if off the line hook up is your main goal then i'd concentrate on rear suspension and wheel/tyre combination as i think this is the weekest link in a street driven big HP 240Z...and probably the most neglected

Although I've never heard of a Quaife breaking, I used to sell replacements for Torsens out of Camaros all the time when I sold diff parts and TimZ broke a Torsen in his R200. The Torsens in the Camaros which are very similar to the Quaife in design were considered particularly weak. I'd go with the VLSD for pure strength and LSD, or as JNJ said, a welded diff for ultimate strength with no regard for street driving.

i think this whole issue comes down to how far you want to go and at what cost ie traction vs CV's vs diff strength vs companion flanges vs 4 small wheel studs

if you've picked a target HP then what is going to give first from that list,if you replace that item with a better one, what is the next weekest link an so on.

I agree with what you are saying. I was basing my statements on Mike's stated goal of 700hp, and that he didn't want a welded diff.

Surprisingly, I don't think Quaife makes a unit for the r230. That was why I ended up with the KAAZ lsd. I just recently heard that Kaaz might not be making lsds for the r230 any more either, but that has not been confirmed.

Surprisingly, I don't think Quaife makes a unit for the r230. That was why I ended up with the KAAZ lsd. I just recently heard that Kaaz might not be making lsds for the r230 any more either, but that has not been confirmed.

There appears to be a Quaiffe unit available for the R230. JustinOlson posted a link to the unit on post#22

It looks that the price on the R230 quaifes is very good right now. This is the only supplier in the US that sells them $1450:

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Nissan/300ZX/Quaife/Drivetrain/Differentials/part/A.T.B

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diff_apps.htm

There appears to be a Quaiffe unit available for the R230. JustinOlson posted a link to the unit on post#22

Hmmm... looks like they just started offering it. They weren't available a year and a half ago when I did my conversion. The Kaaz unit seems to be working pretty well, though.

Elaborate?

in my experience the IRS is far superior to a live rear axle for street traction ie limited tyre diameter,width of tread and type of rubber compound

the nine inch diff may be able to handle bigger torque/horsepower but in a street driven Z the IRS (R200) will put more of that power to the ground

drag racing at the track,that's a different story....the 9"/4 link may well be superior

paul

TimZ

I'll have a built 200R4 with a 3K stall and about the same HP/Torque. Don't you think a Power Brute in an R200 will handle it?

I don't have any experience with the Power Brute, with ~500whp and an auto, I would guess that the r200 would probably be okay (probably borderline). All bets are off if you add a 200hp shot of nitrous to the mix, though.