HybridZ

I feel REALLY stupid for asking this, but...

...what is the firing order on a Small Block Chevrolet. Also, I need someone to refresh my memory on how the cylinders are numbered. It's been a long time since I've had to do this, so cut me some slack, Jack. Also, I've been wrapped up in Dad's "Blown Big Block" project that I've forgetten most of the small block basics. After working on (or shall I say "in") the boat, my V8 looks tiny.

-Andy

Correct me guys if I'm wrong but I believe that all of GM's current (1955-to now) V8 Over head Valves V8's have had a firing order of: 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2. That's just from memory but I believe that is correct.

The cyl's on the driver's side are the odd #'; 1,3,5,7 while the passenger's side are the even #'s: 2,4,6,8.

I believe that is what you were looking for.

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Even though Kevin's still an inliner, he got all of that correct. The cylinder numbering starts at the front of the block. You'll notice that the left bank of the engne (driver's side for us left hand drive people) had the head slightly ahead of the other bank. The cylinder numbers are from front most to rear most. The driver's side cylinders 1,3,5,7 just a rod's width ahead of the respective passenger side cylinders 2,4,6,8.

Firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'd have to pull the cap and crank the engine to be sure, but I believe the distributor runs clockwise, looking down on the rotor.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin Shasteen:

Correct me guys if I'm wrong but I believe that all of GM's current (1955-to now) V8 Over head Valves V8's have had a firing order of: 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2. That's just from memory but I believe that is correct.

The cyl's on the driver's side are the odd #'; 1,3,5,7 while the passenger's side are the even #'s: 2,4,6,8.

I believe that is what you were looking for.

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Kevin,

You are correct about the firing order. One small block has a different order though, the LS1 which is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3.

Thanks guys.

For some reason unknown to myself, every time I work on two motors side by side (in a boat) my sense of cylinder numbers gets all screwed up. Oh well. If any of you guys are ever in my neck of the woods and want to go for a boat ride, look me up. Of course, you will need to do it within the two weeks of boating we have up here biggrin.gif

-Andy

Ha ha ha,

Laugh all you want Kevin, but I've actually skied behind the old man's 32 foot Offshore before. We took two (yes, two!) 75 foot ski ropes tied together and used that for a rope. It took forever to get up, but once I did... hang on. I was only going about 40 mph so the spray off the boat wasn't that bad. The rooster tail doesn't really come on until about 70 mph with the drives trimmed all the way out. Also, if you show up within the next three months, bring a dry suit and a U.S. Coast Guard Ice Breaker biggrin.gif

...now thats what I'd call "Brain Freeze".

-Andy