HybridZ

im smoking

roninjiro

lol, told ya its alot of smoke. rings were ground down to whatever the haynes book said to do when you put it in the bore. rings are 180 degree staggered... bottom oil scavenger rings bottom ring gap 180 to the top scavenger ring, and the spring thing is opening is halfway between those. HELLLPPPP!!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you only have 2 miles on it, I would not be letting it sit idling. From what I understand, the first few miles are crucial to getting the rings to seat properly, and that won't happen at idle. Since you say there are no abnormal noises and there is no coolant in the oil and vice versa, I'd go out and drive it to break it in. I mean, get 50 miles of acceleration/deceleration on it. Then see what's happening.

However, if there is a problem with the rings, then I wonder if you might be better to tear it down now. I hate to say that, but with so little miles on it, perhaps you could avoid having to hone it again and could just put new rings in. I'm out of experience in this area so will step back and let others who have more experience chime in which path is the best to take.

plugs 6 5 and WET #4

plugs1.jpg

plugs 3 2 1

plugs2.jpg

the wet plug

plugs3.jpg

think beside the fact im running supper rich that #4 cylinder is my problem, appears to be oil residue. right now im thinking its just a valve seal b/c before it got it running again, this engine was sitting about a year i think.....

btw Daniel ANY info from you helps!, so thanx ahead of time

what is the best way to clean plugs? b/c all i do is a wirebrush.

after i get these plugs cleaned im doing what Daniel said, and driving it smoke or no smoke!!!!

If the valve seal stuck to the stem during the downtime it may have torn the seal.. also if the valve guides were knurled by your machine shop or replaced with brass guides they may have cracked a guide and this will allow oil into a cylinder.. But that thing is burning RICH!! and thats enough to keep a cloud of eye burning stench alone... Have you added antifreeze yet? You can smell the obvious sweet smell of antifreeze when it burns. same with smoke, but fuel is the one that burns your eyes the quickest..

took it out for a spin again for a couple of miles after the gas station, definitely less smoke while driving, but when i come to a stop it starts to build up a bit and i still keep fouling plugs. dark grey, none sooty.

btw i did notice something, when taking a timing light to each wire, the closer to the plug i go the less it triggers the timing light. what does that mean??? im using taylor 8mm wires, ngk plugs

food for thought, i am using spark plugs for an efi system, most likely are too cold a plug. im going to go by some ngks for a 240z, last time i had this motor together and running i had those and had no problems, we will se what happens. check alternator and fixed that, was only getting 11 volts, now geting 14. i also didnt take out the turbo cam, so maybe i should take it out now, or is there really a difference? i will also check the valve stem seals and see how they are looking while the valve cover is off, quite honestly i never looked at them to see if they ripped, (were new when rebuilt year ago.)

FWIW the ring are definitly not seated yet