HybridZ

Auto darkening helmets and TIG

dr_hunt

I have the HF helmet as well. It works real well and when placed side by each with the one I bought from my MAC dealer you can't tell the difference. The only draw back I have found is it does not always switch when I'm woring on a tube car, as there is almost always a tube in the way of the sensor, I have the older style with the replacable batts. It even has a lowbattery warning in it. Keith

Interesting. Turns out the lens doesn't need to darken to protects your eyes.

all helmets that comply with the current ANSI Z87.1 standard (when in the proper down position) always protect operators from the harmful UV and IR emissions from the arc. This protection occurs whether the lens is darkened or not.

from http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/jan2002/collision.cfm

So much for the going blind garbage.

Looks like that much more of my money for Jim Beam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HORNELL-SPEEDGLAS-FLEXVIEW-W-9002X-WELDING-HELMET_W0QQitemZ130039926421QQihZ003QQcategoryZ92090QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my gf and i split the cost of this earlier this year, its an EXCELLENT buy. my eyes used to get tired after a few hours of welding with my non darkening helmet but now with the adjustable shade i can dial it right in based on what im welding. also the flip up (flexview) option is totally worth it. any time your in a tight space or you need to weld grind weld it comes in handy.

just dont forget to turn it on. talk about owwies

i got it from my local welding shop for 355

I'll put up a pic of my highly modified HF helmet today. I am looking at getting a Miller 200dx TIG machine and since my HF helmet does not do so well at low amperage TIG I'll get a nicer speedglas 9002x or similar helmet. Back when I was in welding school I have seen several Miller elmets go bad and one or two Lincoln helmets go bad. The HF helmets are about a 50/50 chance of getting a good one. I have been lucky and have 2 good ones. The only problem with the newer HF helmet is the ledge below the fiewing window tends to catch big sparks and molten bits and starts to melt through.

I just bought a HF helmet the solar powered one and I love it, but that's coming from the standard helmet and the cheap o face shield that came with my HF welder. I've only had it a coule weeks though but its pure luxury compared to b4 I'd get blinded a lot. My welder is kinda weak though so I don't know how it'd do with a really nice powerful welder.

From what I can see it acts like a pair of those torch glasses then when it senses a bright spark it gets dark like a welders mask. It gets dark just fast enough so you won't get disoriented by the flash, kinda wierd explanation its not perfect but its good enough. I don't weld often also...

I just bought two....my friend has been using his for a few years with no problems, he is in the body shop biz...I guess if I welded for a living I would spend more....But all said I just had my lincoln helmet bite the dust and I dont like paying that kind of money for some thing that is almost a disposable product...it only lasted a year or so...That was a nice helmet garbaged...

This is the one I went for after being zapped by some brand X helmet inserts at a welding show:

http://www.jacksonproducts.com/prodGroup.aspx?brandCode=JP&catId=1&subCatId=29&pgId=114

With 4 sensors, it is hard for a tube or other obstruction ot hide them all (hasn't happened yet). :wink:

Not cheap, but it has a larger viewing area than most, and it is quick.

<>

• 2 weeks later...

I have a HF Helmet. It sucks, really badly. It darkens when I turn a shiny piece the wrong way, it flashes me when I'm balling tungsten, and it has dark and light spots. for observation, its fine though.

I've heard that once you use the speedglas, Miller BWE, or optrel, you will chuck the HF out the window.

I'm probably going to get a 9002v off IOC on the popular auction site. Everyone seems to like speedglas over optrel, don't know why.

the ONLY annoying thing about my speedglas is that the helmet in the raised position doesnt "cam over" meaning theres no click to keep the helmet in the raised position like there was on my 20 dollar crapo helmet. this is easily fixed by the adjusters on the side of the helmet though.