HybridZ

Mills, your thoughts please.

383 240z

I know that these are low end tools but this is what I can afford. I've been looking for a decent used "real" one for about 2 yrs now. All I can find is 440V 3 PH units that I can't move or power up. So I'm looking at this little one from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=33686&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName= and this one from ACCURA. http://cgi.ebay.com/ACCURA-2-HP-MILLING-DRILLING-MACHINE-W-STAND-MORE_W0QQitemZ270040630663QQihZ017QQcategoryZ92150QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270040630663 I have been able to look at the ACCURA one up close (I live near the Seller) It is nicer that the HF one and comes with more extras, and has a 220V motor.

Of course it also costs more. I know these are not the first choice of most fab shops but I do NEED one of them for the MANY small cutom parts I need to make for my various project cars and experimetal ideas I have. So I guess I'm asking if I should spend the few hundred more on the better machine or are they both junk and will wear out in the next 2 years so buy the cheap one? Keith

The other thing you can do is change motors on a good machine to a single phase motor if the frame is correct. Here we have a electric motor rebuild place called Telco. They can actually convert a three phase motor to single phase. But everything is $$$.

I like the accura one better BTW.

Hmmm, looks like both those mills are the same model out of the same factory in China/Taiwan just rebranded. Overall the specs not bad on them, downside is the round column which makes life pretty hard to truly clamp the head solidly, so there's a risk of slight motion when trying a heavier cut on steel. If you're just going to be messing with aluminium then they'll be fine. The other slight downside is the belt change to control speed, bit of a pita. If you end up with a 3 phase machine then you can get an invertor that will allow near infinite speed control which will make life much easier when setting up for different jobs, lazy I know ;)

I'm in pretty much the same situation as yourself at the moment, looking for a decent mill so I can stop pretending with my lathe/mill combo. Much as I'd love a bloody big Bridgeport turret style I suspect I'll end up with something more modest. I quite like the look of this one:

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/century_vs_mill.htm

Due to it's variable speed, the table is a bit small though.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Rob

The Harbor freight unit is definetly a light duty mill. I might be bashed on for saying this, but it will get the job done for most of your projects if dealing in aluminum. It can handle steel, but is very touchy. I've used this exact unit before and its definetly more for the hobby end of milling. If you can afford it, get a real mill and use an invertor. Thats what we do at our shop. We don't have 3 phase available and didn't feel like paying the big $ to have the power company set it up. Sometimes you can even find a used one that includes the invertor if you're lucky. Its more likely to find something like that from an individual that does a lot of work on the side or a retired machinist.