HybridZ

ZX front brake conversion for Z

I converted the front brakes to 280ZX calipers this weekend. I bled them well using my Russel speed bleeders on all four corners, but I still have lots of pedal travel. I still have the 7/8" master cylinder, and I was wondering whether the 15/16" cylinder from the ZX would help this. I bled out the master a few weeks ago, could replacing the front calipers and rear lines have got air up into the master? (I didn't bleed the master out again after the swap) The brakes don't pump up much, so I'm not sure it's air in the system...

I'm still running the stock drums in the back, will the ZX proportioning valve work better or worse than the Z valve? I haven't broken the pads in yet, so I don't know whether the front/rear bias is messed up or not. Thanks in advance for your informed comments.

When I switched to 280zx front calipers, I also switched to the 280zx rear calipers too, so my experience won't be exactly the same as yours. I only recently switched to the larger M/C.

It does sound like you have air. The drums require less fluid movement to actuate, so, that shouldn't be an issue. Check all your connections. Could very well be a bad hose to caliper, or hose to line or something. Did you use the copper washers on the calipers fittings?

Thanks for the comments folks. I used the copper washers on the front caliper lines, and I don't see any seepage in the connections, but I should check again. I did intall the calipers with the bleeders in the top position. I haven't adjusted the rear brakes, but I use the parking brake all the time, and it only comes up to about 60 degrees - can they be adjusted manually?