HybridZ

Ron Tyler style front diff mount

bjhines

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Ivan and Garrett have them bolted up to there L6 motor powered 280Z's. I have this mount as well and I am about to install it on my L6 motored Z. I talked to ivan and he said that it didnt change his diff angle in the front and he used the stock diff mount on the crossmember. He basically said that the TH350 mount sandwiches the diff in place.

I guess I don't understand your answer WIGEN-OUT. It seems the pics I've seen with this mount installed show the front of the diff significantly lower or maybe they were adjusted lower with the mount? Are you telling me that the original mount is left in place and this mount sandwichs the diff?

yeah thats the way I understand it as well. I am going to go look at how Ivans is. He told me that the way he installed it didnt changed the position of the diff angle.. I think if the diff were sandwiched like this.. it would be hard pressed to clunk around lol.. When I install mine, I might just take some pics..

I guess I will build the mount on the car with the stock mount installed and tack it together. This way I am assured to keep it in the stock position. I am guessing that adjustment is done by spacing the polymount with washers?? I didn't quite figure this out by the posts.

No, you don't keep the stock lower mount. At least you don't have to. The RT mount takes the place of the stock mount.

Really you don't get a LOT of room to adjust the nose of the diff with this set up. Look at your stock front diff isolator. It is only a half inch or so thick. That is all the farther down you can adjust the nose of the diff before it starts to hit the stock cross member.

The energy suspension isolators are pretty damn thick too. Read back through this post. I had to grind away part of the ES isolator just to get the diff up off the cross member.

And remember you can adjust the mustache bar isolator washers to further change the angle on the diff.

With a stock L6 I would think just bolting in the RT mount then adjusting it so the nose of the diff is ~about~ the same height off the cross member as it was with the stock isolator will get your driveline angles where they belong. Should be an easy thing to measure. Just measure the thickness of the stock isolator.