HybridZ

Custom fuel injection "kit", any interest?

lt1will620

I'm thinking about building a custom fuel injection system for an SCCA race car, rules indicate that an FI system with individual throttle bodies per cylinder, with no intake plenum is permitted. Since my options for this class is either triple webbers (expensive!!) stock fi with turbo throttle body (no power) or a custom fuel injection system with 6 50mm throttle bodies with 46mm restrictors. The throttle body housing would be approx. $50 a piece if one set is ordered, but price drops drastically if more are made since they are all custom. For instance, if 4 sets are ordered, the throttle body housings drop to approx. $25 each. Of course, there is alot more to the system that just the throttle bodies, the tb shaft, (2 needed per setup) is about $110 each for one set, but if 4 sets are made, price drops to $30 each.

A custom intake would be needed for this, but would be of a very simple design, just the straight intake runners welded to flanges on both ends with injector bungs in place.

For all you other fabricators on this board, would anyone else be interested in going in on some of these components with me? If enough parts are made, this whole system, including a megasquirt to run it could possibly be less than $600. If some of you are interested let me know so i can get a more definate price per system based on number of components needed.

here are some pics of what these components will potentially look like, the flange is threaded so the throttle bodies will bolt directly to them, and the shaft is also threaded for the butterflies and the ends are threaded for the throttle linkage/tps sensor.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2471921/2

Sounds interesting enough, but won't 50mm be a bit large for a single cylinder. I mean sure the more air the better, but there is a big difference between what a cylinder can suck in and what it SHOULD suck in. Not to mention, you'll need some sort of vacuum. You get too big like that and you're looking at 0 vacuum pull in the runner which can cause the fuel to not atomize properly, yada yada...Ok I'm done. Just think though, my Top End Performance setup uses tripple throttle bodies at 45mm each, that's only 22.5mm per cylinder...esentially, but the cylinders pull at different time meaning they should be allowed the full 45mm, but then there's valve over lap between that could...yeah I'm going a little to indepth in this right now. Anyhow, good luck with it, but I'm a little too strapped at the moment to get in on the deal.

So are you having custom 50mm TBs manufactured?

If we ordered it all from you, all that we would have to make is an intake of whatever length we need with a flange for your tb's?

I might be interested...

Mario

Yes, but not really from me, im having a machine shop build them to my specs, so i guess you would be ordering them from me...but just so you know; i myself, am not making them.

im working on a billet manifold right now that these TB's will bolt up to...may make this a pretty slick setup.

as for 50mm of air, mine personally is going on a 8k rpm race car, so im not concerened about engine vacumme and such, if that is even an issue...

• Administrators

I realize this I not related to your custom intake, but I do happen to have a pretty rare IR/ITB Fuel Injection L-6 intake that I’m putting up for sale in the next week or so. It is an ITB Mechanical Fuel Injection manifold with the mechanical injector nozzles still installed. My plans were to either graft on bosses for O-ring style EFI injectors, or use the intake flange from an OE EFI intake and modify it in such away to allow this intake to be “bolted” to it without having to modify this ITB intake, (it seems like such a shame to modify this rare and cool intake).

Any how, this intake as well as the custom N-42 EFI intake pictured that is machined for O-ring injectors , (currently has C-4 Corvette 21 lb/hr pencil beam injectors controlled by MSnS-E isntalled), is currently on our race car and running, is up for sale. If you are interested, E-mail me for more details and pics at;

braapZ350@hotmail.com

IR_2Medium.jpg

IR_3Medium.jpg

DSC_7744Medium.jpg

IR.jpg

Long.jpg

are you talking about bubbles? doesnt his car run high 13's on RACE GAS?

as far as intakes and ITBs and what not, there are readily available twin mounted 50MM TBs in junkyards all over the place. you just have to know what ot look for.

here is a pic of my manifold. not complete yet, but you get the idea.

472513_31_full.jpg

i have some pics on my cardomain page of a setup I am creating for the vg30 but the throttles can be adapted to your design as well and I got them from the single cam maximas. They only ran me about 20 bucks a piece and one from an mazda MPV would work well also but just more removal of crap. For airhorns I am going with a rather inexpensive method and oredering a bunch of old style "egg cups" people use these to display fabrige eggs and I beleive they were used in the old days to keep eggs from rolling around in the fridge.

I dotn have any pics of the throttles on there right now its just the flanges and runners I have modeled. peace.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1796507/7

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

those are the same TBs 1 fast Z uses. they are 46mm I beleive. the TB on the intake in my pic is a twin 40mm unit and there are twin 50mm units out there that look almost exactly like mine. Im only foing with 40mms as my car is only a fast street machine with the occasional autoX.

You get too big like that and you're looking at 0 vacuum pull in the runner which can cause the fuel to not atomize properly, yada yada...

yeah and that would make the map sensor in megasquirt useless meaning you wouldn't be able to do speed density in MS you would have to go Alpha-N. On a radical race engine that might be better anyhow, just not as great a knowledge base. Don't take this post wrong... some very interesting ideas bouncing around here.

Paul: COOL... the last time I remember that intake I don't think you had bolted it up yet, were just getting ready to... how's it run???

I'm thinking about building a custom fuel injection system for an SCCA race car, rules indicate that an FI system with individual throttle bodies per cylinder, with no intake plenum is permitted. Since my options for this class is either triple webbers (expensive!!) stock fi with turbo throttle body (no power) or a custom fuel injection system with 6 50mm throttle bodies with 46mm restrictors....

but no intake plenum (unless its stock) is allowed in the SCCA class i want to run in...

just curious.. what SCCA class? GT? they have some interesting rules, ya really got to look close, and sometimes learn the history, to see the logic. And sometimes no logic can be found.

yes, gt2 regional rule book.

As far as off the shelf TB's, a stock lt1 TB is a twin 48mm, same with a TPI i believe, but with the different length/shape runner would create some cylinders to run rich or lean (based on your tune), so i would really like to keep the straight, equal length runner idea. I'm sure i could find single TB's that would meet my requirements, but like i said, if enough are made, these would be really cheap, plus billet stuff kicks ass...haha

about bubbles car, i dont know if it was on race gas or not, i didnt see the car run, but he has the time slip, and he drove the car there to race it, drove it every day on pump gas, so im not sure why he would have any need to go with race gas, regardless, it makes good power.