HybridZ

someone PLEASE convince me to stay L6!!!

OlderThanMe

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to consider the LSX 5.3, can be had for alot cheaper than LS1 if you look around. Check your local salvage yards, 5.3's are fairly common. Some people think of them as a modern day 327, high rev turbo v8??? They come stock with 285 or so h.p.

good luck

I know...I want to find a way to stay L6 but for $5000 I could have a V8 making 600+hp for the same price or less./QUOTE]

No you can't. At least not without stolen parts.

I went LSx because from what I have seen it is the cheapest overall way to get to neighborhood of 500 HP. If you can't afford the LSx then you had better not be hoping for even 400+ crank HP.

Look a the price of crate engines to get some idea of what it would cost to build a 400 HP motor.

POP... I did recommend that he shop around:wink: I've seen LS1's complete with ECU and T56 and clutch for less than $3K. It takes time to find them but they're out there.

Gas mileage in a V8 Z? As good or BETTER than any L6 turbo motor, WAY better than an L6 turbo making 400+HP

I had a 2002 Corvette Z06...which comes with an LS2. It weighs about 500lbs more than your average 240Z and I averaged almost 30MPG on the highway and 18 around town. My car was mildly modded (exhaust, intake, and modified ECU) and it pulled all the way to 7000RPM with well over 400HP (Dyno at 398).

The LS1 has a bit less power stock, but it's going to get the same gas mileage.

The biggest problem you'd have is being able to go full throttle in the thing...I could light up the tires on command, and I was running 305 series "DOT legal" road race tires in a heavier car with a better suspension setup.

P9011802.jpg

I had the Borla exhaust on my Z06 :)

I also had a 240Z with an L28ET in it with just a glasspack tube muffler on the back...it was very loud and sounded very bad ass...just as good as the Borla LS2, but in a different way.

I really enjoyed my L28ET...but I'd take an LS1 powered Z over the L28 if it was for a budget track car. It's going to be more efficient, make more power, and it's simply newer stuff, it's going to work better. The only reason I'd want an L28ET Z is because it's a Nissan motor in a Nissan car.

P5102732.jpg

I have this video in my sig but I'll put it here since I will change my sig sometime...

that is a stock L26 with a mystery header, 2.5 exhaust, roundtop SUs, and 2 individual air filters. The muffler is a generic turbo muffler. I also installed a basic MSD module.

The SUs are not tuned at all...

EDIT...

I LOVE the sound of my L26 but that is not really feasable to go with a L6 anymore...V8 or I4 it will bee...Leaning toward LSx since you guys are such a bad influence...

You can find a very nice, relativley low mile LS1 with T56 for less than $3K if you search. The conversion kit from John's Cars should be under $500 (SWAG). The power band of the LSx series engines is becoming legendary. This leaves $1.5K to upgrade to LS6 heads and intake, etc. This is just one option... one I'm sure you'll be very happy with.

I think the 1.5K will go towards incidentals, driveline, rad, hoses, belts, AF, oil, filters, starter, WP, etc., etc. but it looks to be doable.

POP... I did recommend that he shop around:wink: I've seen LS1's complete with ECU and T56 and clutch for less than $3K. It takes time to find them but they're out there.

Yeah, no problem there.

http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts_LS1-LS6-LS2-Engines_W0QQssPageNameZVIStoreHeaderLinksQQtZkm?

But if you want to actually hook the engine up to the car, then it is going to cost a good bit more. Guages, fuel system, ECM editing software, driveshaft, sensors, AC parts, beer etc. Adds up. Real quick.

So when all of that is done, how much of that $5K will you have left to get that used $3K ebay motor up to the 600+ HP the guy claimed he could get?

Yeah, no problem there.

http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts_LS1-LS6-LS2-Engines_W0QQssPageNameZVIStoreHeaderLinksQQtZkm?

But if you want to actually hook the engine up to the car, then it is going to cost a good bit more. Guages, fuel system, ECM editing software, driveshaft, sensors, AC parts, beer etc. Adds up. Real quick.

So when all of that is done, how much of that $5K will you have left to get that used $3K ebay motor up to the 600+ HP the guy claimed he could get?

Good points there pop. I won't be running AC for one thing, another is that I don't drink. Megasquirt will be there for the engine management, fuel system will figure in there somewhere...fuel cell and GM style sender, pump assembly, guages...undecided now but say $600. The $5k was to pretty much get the drivetrain hooked up with engine/fuel management.