HybridZ

someone PLEASE convince me to stay L6!!!

OlderThanMe

Good points there pop. I won't be running AC for one thing, another is that I don't drink. Megasquirt will be there for the engine management, fuel system will figure in there somewhere...fuel cell and GM style sender, pump assembly, guages...undecided now but say $600. The $5k was to pretty much get the drivetrain hooked up with engine/fuel management.

Even with the simplifications you listed I still don't think you will be able to complete an LSx/T56 swap for $5K. And if you are honestly thinking about 600+ HP, then I will bet dollars to donuts that four times that amount is not enough. Especially when you start getting into the chassis and other drivetrain mods that 600+ hp requires.

I would love for you to prove me wrong on this, but I don't think you will be able to. Just make sure you know what you are getting into before you start.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey POP... I'm just talking about a junkyard LS1, T56, and John's conversion kit. Yes, he'll likely spend plenty on incidentals. I still think that, if he does all the work himself and is very careful with his funds, he can do the swap for $5K. It won't be fancy or beautiful but I think it can be done.

That said... you all KNOW I'm not even a novice. I'm just looking at basic numbers. So I'll just back out of this one... hopefully with a bit of grace:wink:

• Administrators

I think Pop is right on track. I may not purchase the same things that Pop would, but there would most certainly be other items (every one wants something different) that would cost roughly the same.

In my opinion it is wise to give benifit of the doubt to the person whom has done it, rather than whom hasn't. That said, olderthanme, may I suggest you PM a couple guys that have COMPLETED thier LS swaps and ask them their thoughts?

*edit* If I were building an LSx/T56 Z, I would not budget ANYTHING less than $5k... and that would be for a largely stock motor.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here, and I am not saying my opinon is more worthy than someone else's. I am in the middle of an LS swap, but I unquestionably took a more expensive route than most.

But with that, I don't know about where you live, but there are no junkyard LSx-T56 combos in any of my junkyards. I couldn't even source used parts like alternator brackets locally because the first thing that happens to those engines is they get yanked and sold whole. Prices on the old F body stuff has ballooned in the last year or so. They simply aren't getting any cheaper.

And the "incidentals" you are talking about are expensive. Headers, exhaust, guages, fuel system, reprogramming, cooling. That can easily hit $2K right there, especially on a non-FI vehicle.

But the thing that caused me to respond was the "600+" HP. It would be hard to build a SBC engine with that kind of grunt for $5K let alone do a whole swap.

POP... I don't like playing games either. I hope my posts haven't seemed to the contrary. You have much more knowledge and experience than I. All I can say is that I've found them on-line for $3K, give or take a few hundred bucks. One recent find was a 12K mile LS1, fully dressed with ECU for $2500. He wanted another $1K for the T56. And those one were immacualte... essentially like new and came with a no DOA guarantee. Granted, they're hard to find... just persist and persevere. Yeah, the 600HP mark might be tough to reach w/ $5K.

• 2 months later...

Well for now I am staying high compression L26...

But I am getting a 289 from a buddy for $30!! Less than what I paid for my MN47 head!!

Anyway this engine needs a full rebuild but the crank and rods are in great shape. The block will need a 1mm or so overbore to clean things up a bit. So I'll swap in some forged pistons and find a GOOD set of heads and build some turbo manifolds...for a single turbo 289...

:-D

This build will take a LONG time but it will be worth it.

wish me luck!!

Good thing you got that how to rebuild your chevy v-8 book for christmas! Oh wait, 289 is a ford motor...well, good luck anyway! Once I get my SBC (I refuse to say "if", it's "when") we can have a smackdown!

I know right!?! I got to watch the video and see what a V8 looks like inside...I'll just get a ford one.

JBK240Z: thanks for te link!!

• 5 months later...

Hey guys...

I guess I have gone full circle...

I completely designed a monster L series engine on paper. (i.e. race turbo motor making big power)

Then I started adding up the prices...lol

The short block is going to cost me about $3,500. Mostly because I will be doing EVERYTHING my self except the machining.

Right now a V8 is making a lot of sense.

The car is going to be a for track days at places like Road Atlanta, Sebring, etc...

The car is no longer a DD so I can go crazy with the drivetrain.

4 summers while I am in college. No loans for college or the car so I will be taking my time building it right. Going into debt for this would just be plain stupid on my part.

A couple options...

1986 Buick GN N/A (now at the JY) and convert it to turbo.

Pluses: lots of power, rare

negative: parts aren't too cheap, auto tranny.

A friend has an old Ford 427FE but isn't budging...arg. Still working on him though.

It also needs a full rebuild. (supposedly going in his Ranger?!?!?!)

Plusses: VALUABLE, proven in road racing.

negative: may be hard to mount and make exhaust around Z body... what tranny?

Standard small block.. SBC/SBF high compression N/A or turbo?

Plusses: definitely proven, big support, cheap parts

negative: everybody and their sister has had a "240zx" with a small block V8 sometime in their life.

Nissan 4.5 VH45DE

staying nissan? hmm

Plus: 4.5 liter DOHC V8

Minus: small aftermarket?

JBK240Z: you mentioned a 5.3 LSx... What cars did those come in?

Small LS series engine is looking VERY promising. Turboing an LS is also a very attractive option.

The "I could have had a v8" thing is really starting to bug me now... $10k+ later, am I going to be happy with a 3.3 liter, 600hp+ L6 that I won't want take out on the road? I could have a very streetable, high power V6/V8 for the same amount.

I read back through this and a V8 or Buick v6 is the way to go.

Just looking for ideas...

• Administrators

Hmm.. Well first he needs to finish up his obligations on the right coast and while doing that, he could start paving the road for the move over to the left coast. The Pacific Northwest is a pretty nice place to be, he'll just have to get used to the tire smoke… If he makes the right connections on the upper left coast, certain bits of machine work, fabrication, parts sourcing etc, might be easier and could even open up other opportunities that he hasn't thought of yet for a Hybrid Z… I think there is a VH45DE that produces LOTS of tire smoke available here too...

Oops. Sorry fellas. I have no idea where I was going with that. I was just uh,.. typing out loud.. really….

Hmm.. Well first he needs to finish up his obligations on the right coast and while doing that, he could start paving the road for the move over to the left coast. The Pacific Northwest is a pretty nice place to be, he'll just have to get used to the tire smoke… If he makes the right connections on the upper left coast, certain bits of machine work, fabrication, parts sourcing etc, might be easier and could even open up other opportunities that he hasn't thought of yet for a Hybrid Z… I think there is a VH45DE that produces LOTS of tire smoke available here too...

Oops. Sorry fellas. I have no idea where I was going with that. I was just uh,.. typing out loud.. really….

Hell I'd move out there if I was going to be getting a VH45DE and some free machine work haha

I'm not completely abandoning my monster L6...but I am looking at options...

Just if I lived on the other corner of the country. (I'm only 4 years away from living wherever I want)

Still going to be on time for the Veritech-Z vs. OTM showdown... At least I'll have something to run at the time...

my 2005 silverado has the 5.3 vortec v8. it has GREAT acceleration. its kinda hard actually to not spin tires a little... and thats a xcab w/short bed and stepsides. its a fairly heavy truck.. but you cant tell the engine that... in the truck i get somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 mpg highway... prob around 15 city. i dunno if its the gears or what.. but it has GREAT acceleration, then around 30-50 its a little sluggish.. but once it gets into OD it picks up speed FAST. also if you were intrested mine has the option of running e-85. and they actually suggest in the owners manual that you run it if you can find it where you live

OTM, if I were you, I'd keep asking your friend who has the 427FE. I've never seen a Z with a FE engine, but I've been dreaming about one for a long time... Couple it with the oldschool Top Loader and some low ratio diff, throw in a 428 crank and a hi-riser manifold, and you'll be right on the track to over 500HP. I know that the engine itself would probably cost much more than 5k, but hell, what are the dreams for? :)

Maybe it would be easier for you to source a 390, or a 428... Whatever your engine choice will be, I'm sure that you'll have a lot of fun with it. :)

EDIT: I suppose that if the 427 side- or top oiler doesn't fit your budget you should be looking for something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-390-406-427-428-Mustang-engine-F150_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ010QQitemZ200124517055QQrdZ1

The one below is a gem...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-OR-SHELBY-COBRA-GT500-427-TOP-OILER-ENGINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ012QQitemZ220127460516QQrdZ1

Imagine a Z with that engine. For some reason, I tend to prefer Ford over Chevy. Maybe that's because of my sentiment for the old Mustang... :)

Want my driveline? hehehe I'll take a v8 driveline for a swap! There is no way I could find a decent v8 around my neck of the woods. They get scooped up wayyyy too fast.

BTW I considered a v8 swap initially, but got stopped pretty quick by a lack of 5spd trannies. I called every scrap yard within 50 miles, and I live smack in the middle of a major muscle car area. Not one tranny. found lots of rusted Z31 turbo's though. I got a running one (it was a daily driver, and the guy drove it to my house) for $600.00! I bought another low mileage rusted out z31 turbo for $400.00 (still have it)

VG30ET

Lightweight

midship mounting

loads of torque.

Don't see many around.

Scott.