HybridZ

Mikuni Value

prelewd

I have a set of triple Mikunis for sale locally. I believe they are the kind with Solex in bigger writing. Not really too sure which ones though or what size though.

In any case, I have a few buyers interested and was wondering, from a trusted Z resource, what they are worth with a Sanyo manifold and a set of triple K&N filters with chrome housings in very beautiful condition. Carbs need a rebuild and manifold has no linkage.

Not really looking for a "how much you'd pay personally", but more of a "how much are they worth to someone that wants them".

Thanks in advance,

Barrett

Maybe there's a ton of Mikunis in NC. Out here I'd say a good set of 40's complete with manifold and air cleaners would probably be worth $8-900. A complete set of 44s should be in the $1000 to $1100 range. You can compare to this website to see what he's getting: http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/classified.htm

To find out what size they are, measure the hole on the manifold side of the carburetor. This means you'll need to pull at least one carb off the manifold. I would sell them on ebay if I were you, I've seen them bring good $$$ many times.

I'll try to measure them tonight. They are disassembled from the manifold anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. They need a rebuild and one of them is already torn apart. All parts are there, however, and in good shape.

Jon, didn't realize you were so local. Good to see someone from seattle. Would be nice to get a meet going when the weather isn't sub freezing.

Thanks all, for the information.

If the manifold is off the engine, no need to crack the carb off the setup and waste the gasket, shine a light down the straight runner, and look for the numbers on the throttle plate. 40mm units will have "165" and 44mm units will have "175" stamped on each throttle plate.

Seen 40's go from $250 to 600, seen 44's go from 350 to 1500+. complete sets.

Sangyo manifold will almost surely be bored for the smaller L20A head ports, and be for 40's.

The L20A manifolds just have smaller head-end holes. They are plenty thick to be opened up to match L24,26,28 head ports. I don't see why it would knock off any value. Personally I would rather have a manifold undersized than one that is "already clearanced" to a size bigger than the ports in my existing head.

I just want him to be aware that most of the SK stuff was made specially for the JDM stuff, and they got dinky ports. For someone with an L20A (nobody here, right? LOL) that SK manifold would be a FAR better choice than anything else out there on the market! Though I already have one, so I ain't buyin' it...

That sounds like a lot of porting, unless it is just necked down right at the end of the manifold. If the whole runner would have to be ported, unless it was sold to someone who could do it themselves it would probably be cheaper to buy a manifold with the correct size runners I would think...

The carb end is 40mm, but the port end is a closer match to the diameter of the L20A port size---slightly smaller than the L24 port size.

As discussed on another thread, this taper will increase the velocity coming into the head, and the step at the head will have definate anti-reversionary benefits with a big-overlap cammed engine.