HybridZ

The HZ Pinks episode is rerunning on Speed right now

wingnutthehutt

The fact that the car had to be jumpstarted was testimony to the fact that the alternator wire and it's corresponding solderless butt connnetor had, well, separated. That and the numerous shorts that were discovered post race probably contributed to the loss of the last race and subsequent car.

I think if it were done right, it would have been a different outcome.

I wonder what we could do if we did it right.

The fact that the car had to be jumpstarted was testimony to the fact that the alternator wire and it's corresponding solderless butt connnetor had, well, separated. That and the numerous shorts that were discovered post race probably contributed to the loss of the last race and subsequent car.

We could try again, where only administrators make the final desicions of what happens, but the board itself gets to give opinions. I had a very straight Z that I would be willing to donate to the build. I posted this in the V8 forum, but not everyone reads it.

Wiring was not the culprit of the misfire - the plugs were. I've seen you post over, and over, and over about how the shabby wiring job cost us the race, but if you remember Garrett's post after he got the car back, he reported that the misfire was gone after replacing the plugs. Also, that wire running to the coil that had shorted and melted the insulation, was not like that when the misfire had taken place. Mike had that car for quite a while before it was picked up - he could have been fiddling around with something in the engine bay or inside the car, causing the firewall to cut into the wire. I believe within the last hour of going to the race, he swapped in his own MSD unit to make sure it wasn't causing the misfire, so after he got the car back he could have been swapping the other unit back in and caught the wire on the firewall. There's no telling what caused it to happen, but it wasn't shorted during the time of the race. Sure, the wiring could have been better, but that's not what caused the engine to miss. I, along with the rest of the team, spent hours the night/morning before the race tracing wires in hopes of finding a short.

Uh, the carbon around the arc tracks on the megasquirt resistor board indicate that at some point they were shorting out, whether it was at the race or otherwise it's anyones guess. The tail lights were shorting out and can be seen on the pinks video, so that's a fact. The wire was so hot that they melted the insulation completely off the wire for about 6 inches, and that was certainly during the race. Plugs, well, might of been part of it, but we'll never really know. I started the car and it was pig rich blowing black smoke, but later I found the boost hose to megasquirt pulled off and "other" issues. I'd like to see what the ol' L28 could do. We haven't heard from the guy who got the motor in awhile, wonder if he ever got it going?

What we do know is that Garrett drove that car in remarkable fashion, shifted clean and did a bang up job. The other car guys are remisicent of well, I hate to say it, but distant relatives by marriage from arkansas. :(

but later I found the boost hose to megasquirt pulled off

Thats funny, we started the TPI engine once and it was super rich, the garage immediately started to fill with black smoke, but right before we passed out we remembered the MAP sensor had been disconnect to move the box around. Since the pinks stuff has been hashed already I just thought I would share that story since Doc reminded me.