HybridZ

Thoughts: Dedicated Track Day car.

cygnusx1

I have done two track days with my turbo 280Z and it was an absolute blast. I am having second thoughts about taking her out for more track days. All the time I have spent making her look pretty cannot be replaced if I put her into a tirewall or worse. At this point I am on the fence as to a roll bar or cage and harness to make the car safer on the track.

Instead, I am having thoughts about picking up a 240Z in rough but useable condition. maybe an old track car that needs some mechanical TLC. I would feel much less apprehensive about pushing the limits in a stripped car with a cage, harness, and krylon paint.

I just saw a friend of a friend put a daily driver STI into the tires at Limerock and did about $9,000 in damage. For $9,000 I could buy an old ready track day car! It just makes more sense. Doesn't it?

I agree with getting another car.

I once did a track event at the streets of willow springs and a guy with a clean R33 got hit bad by a guy with a turbo'd Geo metro. Funny, but I felt bad for the guy because it as going to come out of his pocket. I would hate that to happen to me....

I've been told at every HPDE that I've gone to that insurance will cover damage, because it is considered a driving school. A time trial or an open track day that isn't a school would not be covered. I've never actually tried to make an insurance claim, but that's what I've been told repeatedly...

I think it is a great idea....... that way I can see you on the track. I also think of my car when it gets done, how much will I really push it because I will have 2 years into the car and money that I spent instead of eating on my college budget! lol